Online Staff Report
The local music scene will pay tribute to Verne Smith with a benefit for The Arc of Winnebago, Boone & Ogle Counties from 1 to 4 p.m., Sunday, Oct. 23, at Whiskey’s Roadhouse, 3207 N. Main St.
The event, titled “The Verne Stomp,” is in honor of Smith, who in 2001 received the Rockford Area Music Industry Award for “Biggest Music Fan of All-Time.”
Smith died Jan. 12, 2011, after a battle with esophagus cancer. He was 64.
Smith was a staple at live music events. Sometimes known as “Dancin’ Verne,” he was often the first to arrive at gigs, sometimes before the bands, and the last to leave.
The Oct. 23 event at Whiskey’s will feature Smith’s favorite local band, Bullet. Although admission is free, Whiskey’s will provide an all-you-can-eat pasta dinner for $7.99. The event will also include a silent auction, featuring items from Smith’s collections, in addition to the following donated prizes:
• A brand-new Deltatone 2 pickup guitar from Guzzardo Performance Music;
• 10 Halloween costumes and 30 masks from Smith’s collection;
• Three quilted wall hangings featuring T-shirts from Cheap Trick, Harmony Riley, Bullet, Whiskey’s and Ted Nugent, just to name a few;
• A collection of more than 75 of Smith’s CDs and tapes;
• A ladies’ salon/spa package courtesy of High Maintenance Salon; and
• A men’s salon/spa package courtesy of Maintenance Man.
All proceeds from the event will to The Arc to fund the Independent Living program Smith participated in.
Call The Arc at (815) 965-3455 or Whiskey’s at (815) 877-8007 for more details.