- FIFA adds prison labor to its arsenal
- Sitting on a scoop: the story behind the V-E headlines of May 1945
- Bilderback repeats at Speedway
- US permits Arctic drilling, but questions about safety remain
- ISIS takeover of Ramadi means hard choices face the Iraqi and US governments
- State Roundup: Democrat sponsored prevailing wage amendment passes
- Facebook’s Instant Articles not a threat to media
- U of I expert: Rauner’s pension fix ‘unconstitutional’
- State Senate approves lesser penalties for marijuana possession
- State Roundup: Natural gas vehicle tax stalls in committee
Block 5 Halloween Bash set for Oct. 29 downtown
Businesses in the 500 block of East State Street in downtown Rockford are teaming up for a Block 5 Halloween Bash, starting at 9 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 29. There is no cover charge for the event, but some of the businesses will charge for admission.
Bamboo, Irish Rose, The Office, Deli Italia, Social and Abreo will hold Rockford’s largest Halloween bash. Each business will offer a costume contest with a $100 cash prize. Each finalist will then go on to be eligible to win $500 as the “Block 5’s Best Costume.” The event will also feature drink specials.
The businesses have teamed up with DD of Illinois to ensure the safety of all customers. For no charge, anyone at any time can call DD of Illinois from anywhere on Block 5, and they will come with two people — one to drive you home in your car and one in a chase car to pick up the driver. The block five businesses will continue to offer the service every Friday and Saturday night.
Following is the live music lineup for the Oct. 29 event, listed by participating business:
Bamboo Asian Noodles and Tapas Bar, 514 E. State — DJ;
Irish Rose Saloon, 519 E. State — Dane Penn with special guest (original music);
Abreo, 515 E. State — DJ Jason M and DJ Shy;
The Office, 513 E. State — Sweet Lucky Upstairs and DJ downstairs;
Deli Italia, 507 E. State — Higher Ground; and
Social, 509 E. State — DJ.
From the Oct. 26-Nov. 1, 2011, issue