- Man pleads guilty but mentally ill in 2013 murder
- Telephone, computer network outages at 22 Rockford schools
- Byron native selected as Sailor of the Year for Navy Band Southwest
- Illinois Tollway awards $337 million in contracts, sets budget
- 44 earn bachelor’s degrees at Saint Anthony College of Nursing
- Goodwill opens Donation Express site on Perryville
- Rock Valley College to manage TechWorks program
- University of Illinois at Chicago names chancellor
- Salvation Army to distribute food, toys to nearly 2,000 families
- American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act signed into law
Block 5 Halloween Bash set for Oct. 29 downtown
Businesses in the 500 block of East State Street in downtown Rockford are teaming up for a Block 5 Halloween Bash, starting at 9 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 29. There is no cover charge for the event, but some of the businesses will charge for admission.
Bamboo, Irish Rose, The Office, Deli Italia, Social and Abreo will hold Rockford’s largest Halloween bash. Each business will offer a costume contest with a $100 cash prize. Each finalist will then go on to be eligible to win $500 as the “Block 5’s Best Costume.” The event will also feature drink specials.
The businesses have teamed up with DD of Illinois to ensure the safety of all customers. For no charge, anyone at any time can call DD of Illinois from anywhere on Block 5, and they will come with two people — one to drive you home in your car and one in a chase car to pick up the driver. The block five businesses will continue to offer the service every Friday and Saturday night.
Following is the live music lineup for the Oct. 29 event, listed by participating business:
Bamboo Asian Noodles and Tapas Bar, 514 E. State — DJ;
Irish Rose Saloon, 519 E. State — Dane Penn with special guest (original music);
Abreo, 515 E. State — DJ Jason M and DJ Shy;
The Office, 513 E. State — Sweet Lucky Upstairs and DJ downstairs;
Deli Italia, 507 E. State — Higher Ground; and
Social, 509 E. State — DJ.
From the Oct. 26-Nov. 1, 2011, issue