- Clean water under attack in the U.S. Congress
- Man faces charges following attempted armed robbery
- Discovery Center experiences record public attendance
- Pet Talk: Probiotics for your pets
- Illinois home prices climb 3.7 percent in December
- Supreme Court and gay marriage — U of I expert weighs in
- More than 6,100 residents of Winnebago County enrolled in Marketplace
- First large U.S. delegation to visit Cuba since opening of relations
- Merger complete for Illinois Bank & Trust, Galena State Bank
- Crusader welcomes Dr. Maria Lozano Vazquez
Festival of Fantasy Saturday, Oct. 29
Now in its sixth year, Festival of Fantasy children’s Halloween costume contest and parade will be held this Saturday, Oct. 29 from 12:30 until 3:30 p.m. at Edgebrook Mall, 1601 N. Alpine Road in Rockford. Treat bags to the first 150 and registrants. Contest is open to children infant to 12 years old and is free!
Treat bags include candy, coupons and free passes to Rockford’s favorite eateries and such great items as a light-up yo-yo for each child, gift of Wells Fargo Home Mortgage. Prizes will be awarded to each division from ages infant to 12 years old with a grand prize of a brand-new, specialized age- and gender-appropriate bicycle, courtesy of Kegel’s Bicycle Store. A 20-foot-long dragon will be made to appear out of nowhere, and numerous art and craft activities will be available to children while they wait to be judged. Balloon Guy Billy will be on hand to give each child a creative balloon. Face painting as decals will also be available, and there will be music and dancing as well. Hammy from IceHogs will make an appearance as well as other mascots. Early registration is advised, as there can be no guarantee how long the costume contest will take to finish. Registration is from 12:30 to 1 p.m. This event is free, and major funding is provided by the Rockford Area Arts Council and the Community Foundation of Northern Illinois.
From the Oct. 26-Nov. 1, 2011, issue