- A closer look at fracking for natural gas
- Susan Johnson, copy editor, moves on after 21 years
- Guest Column: Clean Water Act: Supporters of clean water must make their voices heard
- Susan Johnson: Saying goodbye to a career
- Super Bowl XLIX prediction: Seahawks will top Patriots
- Sinnissippi Park improvements announced
- Rockford Park District recognized at Illinois Park and Recreation Association Conference
- Man gets natural life in prison for September 2011 murder
- Meet John Doe: Remember the crew of the space shuttle ‘Challenger’
- Tech-Friendly: Update your Adobe Flash Player today
Festival of Fantasy Saturday, Oct. 29
Now in its sixth year, Festival of Fantasy children’s Halloween costume contest and parade will be held this Saturday, Oct. 29 from 12:30 until 3:30 p.m. at Edgebrook Mall, 1601 N. Alpine Road in Rockford. Treat bags to the first 150 and registrants. Contest is open to children infant to 12 years old and is free!
Treat bags include candy, coupons and free passes to Rockford’s favorite eateries and such great items as a light-up yo-yo for each child, gift of Wells Fargo Home Mortgage. Prizes will be awarded to each division from ages infant to 12 years old with a grand prize of a brand-new, specialized age- and gender-appropriate bicycle, courtesy of Kegel’s Bicycle Store. A 20-foot-long dragon will be made to appear out of nowhere, and numerous art and craft activities will be available to children while they wait to be judged. Balloon Guy Billy will be on hand to give each child a creative balloon. Face painting as decals will also be available, and there will be music and dancing as well. Hammy from IceHogs will make an appearance as well as other mascots. Early registration is advised, as there can be no guarantee how long the costume contest will take to finish. Registration is from 12:30 to 1 p.m. This event is free, and major funding is provided by the Rockford Area Arts Council and the Community Foundation of Northern Illinois.
From the Oct. 26-Nov. 1, 2011, issue