- Man pleads guilty but mentally ill in 2013 murder
- Telephone, computer network outages at 22 Rockford schools
- Byron native selected as Sailor of the Year for Navy Band Southwest
- Illinois Tollway awards $337 million in contracts, sets budget
- 44 earn bachelor’s degrees at Saint Anthony College of Nursing
- Goodwill opens Donation Express site on Perryville
- Rock Valley College to manage TechWorks program
- University of Illinois at Chicago names chancellor
- Salvation Army to distribute food, toys to nearly 2,000 families
- American Manufacturing Competitiveness Act signed into law
Not all experts agree on climate change
Many climate experts would disagree with the assertion that “The release of the carbon trapped in the oil sands … will only hasten the arrival of major changes in the global climate — changes we’ve already seen take place all year long in unprecedented floods, fires and droughts. Climate scientists predict we can expect to see more extreme weather.” (“Mr. Green Car: Why you should care about Keystone XL,” Oct. 5-11 issue)
The Nongovernmental International Panel on Climate report (www.nipccreport.com) released on Aug. 29, concluded “… the data revealed there have not been any significant warming-induced increases in extreme weather events.” The report showed that this was the case whether the phenomenon being studied was precipitation, floods, drought, storms, hurricanes, fire or other weather-related events.
Canadian extreme weather expert Dr. Madhav L. Khandekar explains that extreme weather events are occurring today with about the same frequency as they did during the 1945-1977 global cooling period.
The National Climate Data Center website reveals that, with the exception of most precipitation in 24 hours, no statewide extreme weather records have been set in Illinois during the past three decades.
Highest temperature — 1954
Lowest temperature — 1900
Most precipitation in 24 hours — 1996
Most snowfall in 24 hours — 1900
Greatest snow depth — 1900 & 1979
International Climate Science Coalition (ICSC)
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
From the Nov. 2-8, 2011, issue