- Tales from the Trough: IceHogs rebound with four straight wins
- Clean water groups, small business owners, community leaders celebrate Clean Water Act
- Police investigate death of 71-year-old man who was struck in October while riding in his wheelchair
- Woman gets 10 years for 2013 involuntary manslaughter
- Secretary of State Police to target abuse of disability parking on Black Friday
- Illinois Commerce Commission approves 500-mile direct-current electric wind power line
- Meet John Doe: Rockford could benefit from the new Digital Manufacturing and Design Innovation Institute in Chicago
- Tech-Friendly: Surface Pro 3 ad comparing it to MacBook Air is a joke
- Chicago restaurateur Billy Lawless to introduce Obama during immigration speech in Chicago
- Travel Wisconsin Snow Conditions Report assists snow seekers
Rock-Con gaming convention Nov. 4-6
The 38th annual Rock-Con gaming convention will be at the Indoor Sports Center, 8800 E. Riverside Blvd., Loves Park, from 7 to 11 p.m., Friday, Nov. 4, 9 a.m.-11 p.m., Saturday, Nov. 5, and 9 a.m.-5 p.m., Sunday, Nov. 6.
Admission is $25 for a weekend pass, $9 for Friday only, $16 for Saturday only and $9 for Sunday only. Children younger than 12 are admitted free when accompanied by a paying adult. Military discounts are available with a current Department of Defense or Veterans Administration identification card.
Historical, science fiction and fantasy-based games of all kinds, including board games, card games, strategy games and role-playing games, will be played throughout the weekend. Additionally, the dealers’ area will be open throughout the weekend.
Friday, Nov. 4, the convention kicks off at 7 p.m. with games based on the British hit TV show Doctor Who and the Roman Empire as well as classic role-playing games like Dungeons & Dragons.
Saturday, Nov. 5, includes a day-long Warhammer 40,000 tournament, the ever-popular silent auction, and the Pedal to the Medal timed painting contest.
The convention wraps up Sunday, Nov. 6, with a large-scale Catan game, Battletech and a Wings of War tournament. Included with any admission, attendees can try their hand at painting miniatures at the Ninth Annual Paint-and-Take table Friday-Sunday.
Visit www.rock-con.com for more details.
From the Nov. 2-8, 2011, issue