- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
Smash your pumpkin at Discovery Center Nov. 6
Dead pumpkins become parking lot projectiles when flung from Discovery Center’s giant catapult between 1 and 4 p.m., Sunday, Nov. 6, during the museum’s annual Smashing Pumpkins event.
Send your jack-o’-lantern flying through the air with the museum’s trebuchet, a counterweight catapult used in medieval times. Create a miniature catapult and learn how to lob. Take part in various fall arts and crafts activities.
Discovery Center is inside Riverfront Museum Park, 711 N. Main St., Rockford. Visit www.discoverycentermuseum.org or call (815) 963-6769 for more details.
From the Nov. 2-8, 2011, issue