- FIFA adds prison labor to its arsenal
- Sitting on a scoop: the story behind the V-E headlines of May 1945
- Bilderback repeats at Speedway
- US permits Arctic drilling, but questions about safety remain
- ISIS takeover of Ramadi means hard choices face the Iraqi and US governments
- State Roundup: Democrat sponsored prevailing wage amendment passes
- Facebook’s Instant Articles not a threat to media
- U of I expert: Rauner’s pension fix ‘unconstitutional’
- State Senate approves lesser penalties for marijuana possession
- State Roundup: Natural gas vehicle tax stalls in committee
Smash your pumpkin at Discovery Center Nov. 6
Dead pumpkins become parking lot projectiles when flung from Discovery Center’s giant catapult between 1 and 4 p.m., Sunday, Nov. 6, during the museum’s annual Smashing Pumpkins event.
Send your jack-o’-lantern flying through the air with the museum’s trebuchet, a counterweight catapult used in medieval times. Create a miniature catapult and learn how to lob. Take part in various fall arts and crafts activities.
Discovery Center is inside Riverfront Museum Park, 711 N. Main St., Rockford. Visit www.discoverycentermuseum.org or call (815) 963-6769 for more details.
From the Nov. 2-8, 2011, issue