- Obamacare: All eyes on high court
- Dems, Rauner spar over deficit solution; Senate Democrats poised to pass own version
- Minnie Minoso: Dead at 90, unbeaten
- Bring back legislative scholarships? Proposal faces serious questions from both sides
- First Friday opening for Olive Oil Experience
- RAM announce 74th Young Artist winners
- Texas Two-step: ‘Hogs sweep weekend, return home
- More highlights from the Chicago Auto Show
- Industry response to peak oil not enough long term
- TRRT March 4-10 | Online Edition
Home Improvement News: Learn to create faux-painted walls Nov. 19
Have you ever wanted to have professional-looking faux-painted walls, but just couldn’t afford to have it done? It’s not as hard to do as you think.
If you’ve ever thought of doing this yourself, set aside Saturday, Nov. 19, on your calendar. That’s when Rock Valley College (RVC) brings Linda Coffman, from Gilbert, Ariz., to teach her very popular class, “Fabulous Faux for Boring Walls.”
This one-time seminar is all you need to get started with affordable wall decorating.
The class is taught with two styles in mind. “Fabulous Faux-Classic,Tuscan, Metallics,” from 9:30 a.m. to noon, covers the basic looks-faux marble, granite and old plaster walls.
“Fabulous Faux-Suede, Rustic, Modern,” from 1 to 3:30 p.m., is taught on the same day, immediately following the first class. Both classes feature money-saving tips, hands-on practice, and a faster, easier way compared to ragging or sponging.
Coffman’s method reveals secrets of the pros. She has been in the wallpapering and faux-painting business for more than 18 years. Her work is featured in businesses, hotels, restaurants, bed and breakfasts, and fine homes throughout the Minnesota area, and now in Arizona. Hundreds are now using her basecoat tool technique to create their own professional-looking faux-painted walls.
By taking this class, students will be able to achieve perfect edges, make their own glaze, and know how to “rescue” a wall from seeming mistakes. Each class has a kit with the tool for that style and a 60-minute DVD of what was covered that day. A sample of the class can be seen at twistonwalls.com.
For more information, including the cost and location of the classes, visit rockvalleycollege.edu/ce or call (815) 921-3900.
From the Nov. 9-15, 2011, issue