- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
Home Improvement News: Learn to create faux-painted walls Nov. 19
Have you ever wanted to have professional-looking faux-painted walls, but just couldn’t afford to have it done? It’s not as hard to do as you think.
If you’ve ever thought of doing this yourself, set aside Saturday, Nov. 19, on your calendar. That’s when Rock Valley College (RVC) brings Linda Coffman, from Gilbert, Ariz., to teach her very popular class, “Fabulous Faux for Boring Walls.”
This one-time seminar is all you need to get started with affordable wall decorating.
The class is taught with two styles in mind. “Fabulous Faux-Classic,Tuscan, Metallics,” from 9:30 a.m. to noon, covers the basic looks-faux marble, granite and old plaster walls.
“Fabulous Faux-Suede, Rustic, Modern,” from 1 to 3:30 p.m., is taught on the same day, immediately following the first class. Both classes feature money-saving tips, hands-on practice, and a faster, easier way compared to ragging or sponging.
Coffman’s method reveals secrets of the pros. She has been in the wallpapering and faux-painting business for more than 18 years. Her work is featured in businesses, hotels, restaurants, bed and breakfasts, and fine homes throughout the Minnesota area, and now in Arizona. Hundreds are now using her basecoat tool technique to create their own professional-looking faux-painted walls.
By taking this class, students will be able to achieve perfect edges, make their own glaze, and know how to “rescue” a wall from seeming mistakes. Each class has a kit with the tool for that style and a 60-minute DVD of what was covered that day. A sample of the class can be seen at twistonwalls.com.
For more information, including the cost and location of the classes, visit rockvalleycollege.edu/ce or call (815) 921-3900.
From the Nov. 9-15, 2011, issue