- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
- Week 13 NFL picks: Bears will hand Lions another Turkey Day loss
- Rockford’s holiday tradition Stroll on State set for Saturday, Nov. 29
- Webb’s RVC Studio winter full of love stories
- Tube Talk: ‘American Masters: Bing Crosby Rediscovered’ to be featured on PBS
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: A nice break-in beer for those who want to try bourbon barrel-aged beer
- Tales from the Trough: IceHogs rebound with four straight wins
- Clean water groups, small business owners, community leaders celebrate Clean Water Act
- Police investigate death of 71-year-old man who was struck in October while riding in his wheelchair
Midwest Museum explores gems Nov. 10
SYCAMORE, Ill. — Midwest Museum of Natural History in Sycamore, Ill., presents “Gemology” from 7 to 8 p.m., Thursday, Nov. 10.
Rich Para, a certified gemologist, will present a display of gems and lapidary tools and share his knowledge of the art and science of gemology. Mention this article and receive the member rate of $7 per person. Enjoy the museum before the lecture; doors will open at 6 p.m. No registration required.
Para began working with lapidary tools and gems with his father in high school, eventually creating his own jewelry. From there, Para’s talent with gems took off as he developed comprehensive knowledge of the trade, which he now applies daily at his shop, Sweet Earth, in downtown Sycamore.
“My interest in gemology came from a fascination in the science behind the craft,” Para said. “A deep understanding of a gem’s properties is a must when you are cutting and shaping it into something beautiful.”
Whether you love jewelry or geology, you are sure to enjoy Para’s lecture and come away with a deeper appreciation for “all that glitters.”
Midwest Museum of Natural History, 425 W. State St., Sycamore, Ill., is a nonprofit organization. To learn more about the museum, visit www.mmnh.org or call (815) 895-9777.
From the Nov. 9-15, 2011, issue