- Rockton Lions raise funds for Talcott Free Library during Oct. 10 Candy Day
- Former Belvidere North teacher pleads guilty to sex charge
- Police ask for help in weekend armed robbery
- Belvidere football coach returns to sidelines after hazing probe
- IceHogs split weekend on the road
- Dog and cat adoption event at Children’s Home + Aid Oct. 20
- Arrest warrant issued in string of burglaries
- The Odds Man: Bills, Seahawks good bets in NFL Week 7
- SwedishAmerican to build new clinic in Byron
- Chrysler recall affects 907k vehicles
Rockford Memorial first Illinois hospital to own new surgical scope to treat sinus conditions
Rockford Memorial Hospital is the first hospital in Illinois to own and operate a new medical device called Acclarent Cyclops, a state-of-the-art surgical scope used to treat difficult sinus conditions more effectively and efficiently than conventional tools.
Fazlur Zahurullah, M.D., a Rockford Health Physicians otolaryngologist, has used the scope in approximately two dozen procedures since June.
“This innovative scope allows us to rotate our view into the nose and inside the sinuses by 90 degrees to each side, which allows the surgeon a full view — it’s like peripheral vision,” he said. “That helps us resolve issues more quickly and easily. It is also less invasive, with no incisions involved, safer and more thorough.”
The device allows surgeons to see every view imaginable of the sinus anatomy. It can verify CT scans visually, see around corners to optimize surgery, and does the job it otherwise takes three or four scopes to perform.
Call the ENT Department at Rockford Health Physicians at (815) 971-2800.
From the Nov. 9-15, 2011, issue