- Lee Hamilton: November’s elections won’t resolve much of anything
- Pec Playhouse Theatre announces auditions for holiday production
- Keeping up with Aida: A western adventure, part three
- State prepares for thousands of medical marijuana applications
- Rockford’s Choices Natural Market celebrates Non-GMO Month
- Week 5 NFL picks: Lions to improve to 4-1, Packers and Bears will keep pace at 3-2
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: Revolution Brewing’s Oktoberfest offers good all-around balance
- Rockford’s Fall ArtScene at 37 locations Oct. 3-4
- Tales from the Trough: Preseason interview with ‘The Voice of the IceHogs,’ Mike Peck
- Mr. Green Car: Saltwater-powered car: the Quant e-Sportlimousine
Rockford Memorial first Illinois hospital to own new surgical scope to treat sinus conditions
Rockford Memorial Hospital is the first hospital in Illinois to own and operate a new medical device called Acclarent Cyclops, a state-of-the-art surgical scope used to treat difficult sinus conditions more effectively and efficiently than conventional tools.
Fazlur Zahurullah, M.D., a Rockford Health Physicians otolaryngologist, has used the scope in approximately two dozen procedures since June.
“This innovative scope allows us to rotate our view into the nose and inside the sinuses by 90 degrees to each side, which allows the surgeon a full view — it’s like peripheral vision,” he said. “That helps us resolve issues more quickly and easily. It is also less invasive, with no incisions involved, safer and more thorough.”
The device allows surgeons to see every view imaginable of the sinus anatomy. It can verify CT scans visually, see around corners to optimize surgery, and does the job it otherwise takes three or four scopes to perform.
Call the ENT Department at Rockford Health Physicians at (815) 971-2800.
From the Nov. 9-15, 2011, issue