- Telephone fraud on the rise, BBB reports
- Pet Talk: The seeing eye guide dog birthday
- State Police seize 155 pounds of cannabis during traffic stop
- Mitt Romney won’t run in 2016
- Man shot three times near Oakley Avenue, West Jefferson Street
- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
Rockford Memorial first Illinois hospital to own new surgical scope to treat sinus conditions
Rockford Memorial Hospital is the first hospital in Illinois to own and operate a new medical device called Acclarent Cyclops, a state-of-the-art surgical scope used to treat difficult sinus conditions more effectively and efficiently than conventional tools.
Fazlur Zahurullah, M.D., a Rockford Health Physicians otolaryngologist, has used the scope in approximately two dozen procedures since June.
“This innovative scope allows us to rotate our view into the nose and inside the sinuses by 90 degrees to each side, which allows the surgeon a full view — it’s like peripheral vision,” he said. “That helps us resolve issues more quickly and easily. It is also less invasive, with no incisions involved, safer and more thorough.”
The device allows surgeons to see every view imaginable of the sinus anatomy. It can verify CT scans visually, see around corners to optimize surgery, and does the job it otherwise takes three or four scopes to perform.
Call the ENT Department at Rockford Health Physicians at (815) 971-2800.
From the Nov. 9-15, 2011, issue