- Boys’ basketball holiday tournament tips off tonight
- Ribbon-cutting for Children’s Holiday Shoppe Nov. 26; shop is open Nov. 29-Dec. 21
- Rockford Rescue Mission invites community to Thanksgiving banquet Nov. 26
- Rockton’s new business district welcomes family owned Dr. Detail U.S. Cellular
- 2014 Illinois Emerging Writers Competition winners named
- Open house for new library executive director tonight
- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
Rockford Memorial first Illinois hospital to own new surgical scope to treat sinus conditions
Rockford Memorial Hospital is the first hospital in Illinois to own and operate a new medical device called Acclarent Cyclops, a state-of-the-art surgical scope used to treat difficult sinus conditions more effectively and efficiently than conventional tools.
Fazlur Zahurullah, M.D., a Rockford Health Physicians otolaryngologist, has used the scope in approximately two dozen procedures since June.
“This innovative scope allows us to rotate our view into the nose and inside the sinuses by 90 degrees to each side, which allows the surgeon a full view — it’s like peripheral vision,” he said. “That helps us resolve issues more quickly and easily. It is also less invasive, with no incisions involved, safer and more thorough.”
The device allows surgeons to see every view imaginable of the sinus anatomy. It can verify CT scans visually, see around corners to optimize surgery, and does the job it otherwise takes three or four scopes to perform.
Call the ENT Department at Rockford Health Physicians at (815) 971-2800.
From the Nov. 9-15, 2011, issue