- Dimke: ‘I’m not going to retire’
- IMRF responds: Pay spiking against the rules
- Bill limits automated license plate readers
- Private uni’s subject to FOIA says House
- Guest Commentary: Earth Day or April Fools Day?
- State Roundup: Concerns raised about proposed change in DUI pot standard
- Bill would decrease pot penalties; small amounts would draw only ticket, fine
- Senate votes to restore human service cuts; bill moves to House for consideration
- Bill to restrict red light cameras passes House
- State Roundup: Budget fix in current FY not yet done
Unity the Band kicks off Fiji Fan Tour Nov. 11 at Kryptonite
• Reggae, funk, blues and rock band offers fans an opportunity to travel with them to Fiji in March 2012
Unity the Band will play at Kryptonite, 308 W. State St., in downtown Rockford, beginning at 9 p.m., Friday, Nov. 11. The performance will kick off the band’s Fiji Fan Tour.
Unity the Band will be touring the tropical South Pacific country of Fiji, the home of founder and frontman Pita “Kai” Katobalavu, in March 2012, and is inviting fans to join them. Planned in partnership with Fox World Travel and Lineup Entertainment, the fan group will depart March 29 for a cultural and vacation experience.
Fans can choose from a five- or seven-night vacation staying at the five-star Sofitel Resort and Spa, on Denarau Island. This beachfront resort is adjacent to the world-class Denarau Golf and Racquet Club. Fans will tour Kai’s family’s village for a welcome kava ceremony and traditional lovo feast demonstration, as well as have access to island cruises and cave tours.
The band will perform a private show at the resort for the fans, as well as a show at the 4,000-seat Vodafone Arena in Suva March 31. Unity will be extending their stay to perform additional shows on other islands and at Prince Charles Park in Nadi April 7.
Unity recently released its third album of original music titled Oceania, featuring sounds and themes of the Fiji Islands, mixed with the band’s reggae, funk, blues and rock vibe. The 13 songs on Oceania were written by Katobalavu, and contain references and story lines from Fiji, portraying the joy of a simple beach lifestyle he enjoyed as a youth.
Unity has been together since 2003, and has won the 2010 and 2011 Wisconsin Area Music Industry awards for World Music. In addition to Fijian native Katobalavu on lead vocals and rhythm guitar, the band’s members include Jason “Red” Brown on the bass, John “JZ” Zuleger, lead guitar and vocals, Tom Jones, sax and keyboards, with Kelvin Ayres behind the drum set, and Jeremy “Chunk” Schroetter on percussion.
Unity will provide fans the opportunity to make reservations online at unitytheband.com or through Fox World Travel’s toll-free phone line at 1-866-GO-FOX-GO.
From the Nov. 9-15, 2011, issue