- Telephone fraud on the rise, BBB reports
- Pet Talk: The seeing eye guide dog birthday
- State Police seize 155 pounds of cannabis during traffic stop
- Mitt Romney won’t run in 2016
- Man shot three times near Oakley Avenue, West Jefferson Street
- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
Designated Drivers of Illinois partners with Block 5 businesses
Service active Friday and Saturday nights
Designated Drivers of Illinois has recently partnered with the following businesses on Block 5 in downtown Rockford to ensure patrons make it home safe after an evening downtown:
• Abreo — 515 E. State St.;
• Social Urban Bar and Restaurant — 509 E. State St.;
• The Office Niteclub — 513 E. State St.;
• Bamboo Noodles and Tapas Bar — 514 E. State St.;
• Deli Italia — 507 E. State St.; and
• The Irish Rose Saloon — 519 E. State St.
The Designated Drives of Illinois service is now active on Friday and Saturday nights from 11 p.m. until bar close at the above establishments. Drivers will be staffed nearby and ready to drive patrons home with little to no wait.
All businesses involved in this partnership have a unified goal of making safe transportation for Rockford’s nightlife-goers quicker, cleaner and more efficient, with an end result of fewer people driving home drunk.
November’s ride free special is only valid at these six establishments as a chance for people to try out the service. After November, the cost is $10.
Designated Drivers of Illinois also has a partnership with Kryptonite Music Lounge, 308 W. State St., and rides are also $10 from there. All other locations are $35.
Any establishment wanting to become a sponsor and start a designated driver program in their businesses is urged to call Designated Drivers of Illinois to make arrangements. Establishments that sponsor the service pass the $25 discount per ride to their customers.
Designated Drivers of Illinois started in December 2010 and was incorporated in 2011. The founder, Nick Jupin, has 10 years of experience in transportation. As an EMT since 2001, Jupin has driven individuals in medical coaches, worked on ambulances, managed emergency dispatch centers and briefly operated a taxi service.
Designated Drivers of Illinois, Inc., is dedicated to making the community’s streets safer through action and education. The company strives to make calling for a ride painless, quick and efficient.
While the company does not operate any taxis or limousines, it does offer a comparable service by providing the driver to turn the customer’s car into their personal taxi or limousine. The company offers point-to-point services within its service area, hourly private driver services with no geographical limits, and special event/wedding services.
A dispatcher can be contacted during operation hours at (855) DUI-STOP or (855) 384-7867. Visit designateddriversofillinois.com for more details.
From the Nov. 16-22, 2011, issue