- TRRT April 1-7 | Online Edition
- Guest Commentary: the Rockford Apartment Association
- State Roundup: NIU employee improperly reimbursed $30K
- State Roundup: Governor signs budget fix bills
- Rauner, Democratic leaders shake hands and make law
- State roundup: National guardsman and cousin arrested in terror plot
- Lawmaker says license plate readers a privacy threat
- Bryant not the first to feel impact of free agency rules
- State Roundup: Parents’ group calls for standardized test opt-out bill
- Hononegah Mack: ‘The best woman in the county’
Ethnic Heritage Museum groundbreaking Nov. 18
Help Ethnic Heritage Museum celebrate the beginning of a new addition. The museum is building its “future from the past.” Groundbreaking will take place at 10 a.m., Friday, Nov. 18, on the museum grounds.
Ethnic Heritage Museum operates from an extremely modest building at 1129 S. Main St. The existing building houses six ethnic groups that settled in southwest Rockford. The museum will add 1,800 square feet that will feature a multi-purpose room, new restrooms, a library, office, kitchenette, display cases and basement. The new addition will enable staff to host activities such as cultural paper cutting, genealogy lectures, receptions, outreach programs for neighborhood children and many more projects.
The museum has long envisioned a chance to grow and better serve the southwest corridor neighbors and school children as well as all of Rockford. They will expand their limited space while strengthening the area where the ethnic forebears settled.
The board extends a special thanks to the many individual donors, clubs, organizations, business groups, Winnebago County, State of Illinois, and the Lockwood Foundation. There is now enough money to build the shell, and the museum will continue to fundraise for the many other needed items. Bids came in over $100,000 more than expected, so some items will have to be trimmed from the budget. The museum list of project completion needs is available upon request.
From the Nov. 16-22, 2011, issue