- Nov. 4 General Election endorsements: Retain County Clerk Margie Mullins
- Nov. 4 General Election endorsements: Re-elect Jesse White
- Nov. 4 General Election endorsements: Elect Sheila Simon as state comptroller
- Brad Roos to step down as Zion Development executive director
- Smash your pumpkin at Rockford’s Discovery Center Nov. 2
- Control the candy without limiting the Halloween fun
- RHS Ambassadors host Halloween party for hospitalized children
- Beware of the energy-sucking vampires in your home, ComEd warns
- Rockford Park District golf season begins to wrap up
- Two locals to be honored among state’s top college students
Ethnic Heritage Museum groundbreaking Nov. 18
Help Ethnic Heritage Museum celebrate the beginning of a new addition. The museum is building its “future from the past.” Groundbreaking will take place at 10 a.m., Friday, Nov. 18, on the museum grounds.
Ethnic Heritage Museum operates from an extremely modest building at 1129 S. Main St. The existing building houses six ethnic groups that settled in southwest Rockford. The museum will add 1,800 square feet that will feature a multi-purpose room, new restrooms, a library, office, kitchenette, display cases and basement. The new addition will enable staff to host activities such as cultural paper cutting, genealogy lectures, receptions, outreach programs for neighborhood children and many more projects.
The museum has long envisioned a chance to grow and better serve the southwest corridor neighbors and school children as well as all of Rockford. They will expand their limited space while strengthening the area where the ethnic forebears settled.
The board extends a special thanks to the many individual donors, clubs, organizations, business groups, Winnebago County, State of Illinois, and the Lockwood Foundation. There is now enough money to build the shell, and the museum will continue to fundraise for the many other needed items. Bids came in over $100,000 more than expected, so some items will have to be trimmed from the budget. The museum list of project completion needs is available upon request.
From the Nov. 16-22, 2011, issue