- Tales from the Trough: IceHogs rebound with four straight wins
- Clean water groups, small business owners, community leaders celebrate Clean Water Act
- Police investigate death of 71-year-old man who was struck in October while riding in his wheelchair
- Woman gets 10 years for 2013 involuntary manslaughter
- Secretary of State Police to target abuse of disability parking on Black Friday
- Illinois Commerce Commission approves 500-mile direct-current electric wind power line
- Meet John Doe: Rockford could benefit from the new Digital Manufacturing and Design Innovation Institute in Chicago
- Tech-Friendly: Surface Pro 3 ad comparing it to MacBook Air is a joke
- Chicago restaurateur Billy Lawless to introduce Obama during immigration speech in Chicago
- Travel Wisconsin Snow Conditions Report assists snow seekers
Paul Thorn performs at Sullivan Center Nov. 17
Southern raconteur Paul Thorn will perform at Sullivan Center, 118 N. Main St., at 7 p.m., Thursday, Nov. 17.
Fresh off a boatload of year-end best-of accolades for his latest release, Pimps & Preachers, Thorn is in the midst of a fall tour that will take him from theaters to clubs throughout the United States.
His latest album, which gave him his first Billboard Top 100 debut and remained in the top five on the Americana Radio Airplay Chart for 10 weeks, has been wowing critics. The Newark Star-Ledger said Thorn authors “succinct, epigrammatic verse that unsentimentally assays life’s common troubles,” and The Nation called the CD “an incredible find.”
Twangville.com named the record its No. 1 Reader’s Pick for Best Album of 2010, and TheAlternateRoute.com included the CD in the Top 20 of all five of its critics’ Best of 2010 lists. BluesRevue.com and the Memphis News Press, among others, also included the record in their “Best of 2010” lists.
For tickets and more information, call (815) 335-2915, or visit Paul Thorn’s website at http://www.paulthorn.com.
From the Nov. 16-22, 2011, issue