- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
- Lincoln associates found in recently discovered 1840 Menard County census
- BIFF Year ’Round presents the documentary ‘Slingshot’ Oct. 29
- Rockford’s Discovery Center presents ‘Spooky Science’ Oct. 25
- Academic Dr. Duke Pesta speaks against Common Core, part 2
- Rockford Record Crawl 2014 celebrates music, indie retailers
- Early voting continues after ballot error corrected
- Caruana outpacing Springer in money race for sheriff
- Week 8 NFL picks: Lions, Packers will continue to share NFC North lead
Paul Thorn performs at Sullivan Center Nov. 17
Southern raconteur Paul Thorn will perform at Sullivan Center, 118 N. Main St., at 7 p.m., Thursday, Nov. 17.
Fresh off a boatload of year-end best-of accolades for his latest release, Pimps & Preachers, Thorn is in the midst of a fall tour that will take him from theaters to clubs throughout the United States.
His latest album, which gave him his first Billboard Top 100 debut and remained in the top five on the Americana Radio Airplay Chart for 10 weeks, has been wowing critics. The Newark Star-Ledger said Thorn authors “succinct, epigrammatic verse that unsentimentally assays life’s common troubles,” and The Nation called the CD “an incredible find.”
Twangville.com named the record its No. 1 Reader’s Pick for Best Album of 2010, and TheAlternateRoute.com included the CD in the Top 20 of all five of its critics’ Best of 2010 lists. BluesRevue.com and the Memphis News Press, among others, also included the record in their “Best of 2010” lists.
For tickets and more information, call (815) 335-2915, or visit Paul Thorn’s website at http://www.paulthorn.com.
From the Nov. 16-22, 2011, issue