- NWS: Thunderstorms expected Sunday night
- McKellen’s Mr. Holmes a satisfactory conclusion
- Rockford visitor spending jumps
- The misguided Cecil the lion debate
- State, union extend contract again
- Willow Creek left in the dust by development
- CUB helps residents find best deal
- What the Scott Walker fundraising controversy means for 2016
- Corn prices fade as supplies stay in surplus
- Cubs make history in an unfortunate way
Paul Thorn performs at Sullivan Center Nov. 17
Southern raconteur Paul Thorn will perform at Sullivan Center, 118 N. Main St., at 7 p.m., Thursday, Nov. 17.
Fresh off a boatload of year-end best-of accolades for his latest release, Pimps & Preachers, Thorn is in the midst of a fall tour that will take him from theaters to clubs throughout the United States.
His latest album, which gave him his first Billboard Top 100 debut and remained in the top five on the Americana Radio Airplay Chart for 10 weeks, has been wowing critics. The Newark Star-Ledger said Thorn authors “succinct, epigrammatic verse that unsentimentally assays life’s common troubles,” and The Nation called the CD “an incredible find.”
Twangville.com named the record its No. 1 Reader’s Pick for Best Album of 2010, and TheAlternateRoute.com included the CD in the Top 20 of all five of its critics’ Best of 2010 lists. BluesRevue.com and the Memphis News Press, among others, also included the record in their “Best of 2010” lists.
For tickets and more information, call (815) 335-2915, or visit Paul Thorn’s website at http://www.paulthorn.com.
From the Nov. 16-22, 2011, issue