- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
4-Hers excel in giant pumpkin growing contest
The University of Illinois Extension wrapped up its giant pumpkin growing contest Oct. 31. Seven outstanding pumpkins were submitted by local youth. All contestants were Winnebago County 4-Hers.
The U of I Extension provided Big Mac giant pumpkin seeds to more than 100 participants in an effort to promote the Plant-A-Row (PAR) for the Hungry program. PAR promotes growing an extra row of veggies in your home garden with the purpose of donating that fresh produce to area food pantries. This year, PAR collected and distributed more than 14 tons of fresh produce to Rockford-area food pantries.
Seven contest entries were received. The largest of the seven pumpkins weighed in at 89 pounds, belonging to Christina Chestnut. Other award winners include Jared Manley, Cordell Schelm, Sowmya Monroe, Kelsey Montgomery, Emily Lopata and Rebecca Baird.
From the Nov. 23-29, 2011, issue