- U of I expert: Rauner’s pension fix ‘unconstitutional’
- State Senate approves lesser penalties for marijuana possession
- State Roundup: Natural gas vehicle tax stalls in committee
- Raptors, Rangers FC announce June camp
- Student debt 101: dearth of data fuels common misperceptions
- ‘Millionaire tax’ clears House panel
- Memorial Day events at Midway’s LZ Peace Memorial
- Wallace calls for Rockford crime task force
- How we discovered the 3 revolutions of American pop
- Something is rotten in the state of US education
4-Hers excel in giant pumpkin growing contest
The University of Illinois Extension wrapped up its giant pumpkin growing contest Oct. 31. Seven outstanding pumpkins were submitted by local youth. All contestants were Winnebago County 4-Hers.
The U of I Extension provided Big Mac giant pumpkin seeds to more than 100 participants in an effort to promote the Plant-A-Row (PAR) for the Hungry program. PAR promotes growing an extra row of veggies in your home garden with the purpose of donating that fresh produce to area food pantries. This year, PAR collected and distributed more than 14 tons of fresh produce to Rockford-area food pantries.
Seven contest entries were received. The largest of the seven pumpkins weighed in at 89 pounds, belonging to Christina Chestnut. Other award winners include Jared Manley, Cordell Schelm, Sowmya Monroe, Kelsey Montgomery, Emily Lopata and Rebecca Baird.
From the Nov. 23-29, 2011, issue