- McDonald’s: Federal complaint says company is joint employer
- T-Mobile settlement: $90M for cell phone bill cramming
- Shelter Care Ministries gets $30,000 grant
- Even more dead bees?
- Holiday travel: 98.6 million plan getaway, most on record
- Scam artists posing as utility reps, demanding payment
- Holiday mailing deadlines approach, Rockford Post Office warns
- Hispanics more than half of all renters, yet most are uninsured
- Pet Talk: Healthy pets make for a happy holiday
- Man pleads guilty but mentally ill in 2013 murder
4-Hers excel in giant pumpkin growing contest
The University of Illinois Extension wrapped up its giant pumpkin growing contest Oct. 31. Seven outstanding pumpkins were submitted by local youth. All contestants were Winnebago County 4-Hers.
The U of I Extension provided Big Mac giant pumpkin seeds to more than 100 participants in an effort to promote the Plant-A-Row (PAR) for the Hungry program. PAR promotes growing an extra row of veggies in your home garden with the purpose of donating that fresh produce to area food pantries. This year, PAR collected and distributed more than 14 tons of fresh produce to Rockford-area food pantries.
Seven contest entries were received. The largest of the seven pumpkins weighed in at 89 pounds, belonging to Christina Chestnut. Other award winners include Jared Manley, Cordell Schelm, Sowmya Monroe, Kelsey Montgomery, Emily Lopata and Rebecca Baird.
From the Nov. 23-29, 2011, issue