- Nov. 4 General Election endorsements: Retain County Clerk Margie Mullins
- Nov. 4 General Election endorsements: Re-elect Jesse White
- Nov. 4 General Election endorsements: Elect Sheila Simon as state comptroller
- Brad Roos to step down as Zion Development executive director
- Smash your pumpkin at Rockford’s Discovery Center Nov. 2
- Control the candy without limiting the Halloween fun
- RHS Ambassadors host Halloween party for hospitalized children
- Beware of the energy-sucking vampires in your home, ComEd warns
- Rockford Park District golf season begins to wrap up
- Two locals to be honored among state’s top college students
Hospice patient guest of honor at Darius Rucker concert
Country music, on a record or the radio, has always gotten Joyce Doyle’s toes tapping. The 64-year-old likes them all, from classics like Johnny Cash to star Garth Brooks — but a special favorite is Darius Rucker.
“He’s got a great voice,” Doyle said, laughing. “And he’s nice to look at, too.”
The hospice patient, a resident of Asta Care Center of Rockford, had the evening of a lifetime as a special guest at Rucker’s concert in DeKalb when she received tickets through non-profit Passages Hospice Dreams.
As an added surprise, Doyle was escorted past the crowds for an exclusive meet-and-greet session with the singer, who gave her a hug and signed the cowboy hat she’d purchased especially for the occasion.
“I’m going to have the best dreams tonight,” Doyle said with a smile.
Doyle’s dream was fulfilled by Passages Hospice Dream Foundation, Ltd., a non-profit charitable organization that provides the Passages Hospice Dreams service, which grants wishes for patients receiving end-of-life care and for the patient’s family members, and through the generous cooperation of the Darius Rucker organization.
For more about Passages Hospice Dreams, or to donate, visit www.passageshospice.com and select “Passages Hospice Dreams.” Passages Hospice can also be reached at (618) 972-7681.
From the Nov. 23-29, 2011, issue