- FIFA adds prison labor to its arsenal
- Sitting on a scoop: the story behind the V-E headlines of May 1945
- Bilderback repeats at Speedway
- US permits Arctic drilling, but questions about safety remain
- ISIS takeover of Ramadi means hard choices face the Iraqi and US governments
- State Roundup: Democrat sponsored prevailing wage amendment passes
- Facebook’s Instant Articles not a threat to media
- U of I expert: Rauner’s pension fix ‘unconstitutional’
- State Senate approves lesser penalties for marijuana possession
- State Roundup: Natural gas vehicle tax stalls in committee
Avalon String Quartet returns to Mendelssohn Dec. 2
The Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center will present the Avalon String Quartet in concert at 7 p.m., Friday, Dec. 2, in the Mendelssohn PAC auditorium, 415 N. Church St., Rockford. Tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for students.
The quartet is performing Beethoven’s string quartets over the course of six concerts at the Mendelssohn PAC. This second program of the series, “Early Ventures,” focuses exclusively on words from Beethoven’s first set of quartets, showing not only the influence of his classical predecessors, Mozart and Haydn, but also the ways in which Beethoven set out to sculpt a unique voice in an established medium.
The Avalon String Quartet, one of the country’s leading string ensembles, was formerly in residence at Juilliard School and Indiana University, and is now in residence at Northern Illinois University.
The other series performance dates are Jan. 27, March 16, April 13 and June 1. Avalon Series subscriptions are $60 for adults and $30 for students. Adult subscribers to Mendelssohn PAC’s Season Concert Series get 50 percent off their Avalon Series subscription.
Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center, a nonprofit organization, is at 415 N. Church St., Rockford.
To purchase concert tickets or for more information about upcoming events and concerts, call the Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center at (815) 964-9713 or visit www.mendelssohnpac.org.
From the Nov. 30-Dec. 6, 2011, issue