- EarthTalk: Still in denial about climate
- Three female fugitives wanted in New Jersey restaurant theft arrested in Illinois
- Man guilty in 2012 crash into home that injured 8-year-old
- McDonald’s: Federal complaint says company is joint employer
- T-Mobile settlement: $90M for cell phone bill cramming
- Shelter Care Ministries gets $30,000 grant
- Even more dead bees?
- Holiday travel: 98.6 million plan getaway, most on record
- Scam artists posing as utility reps, demanding payment
- Holiday mailing deadlines approach, Rockford Post Office warns
Lifescape offers help in recognition of American Diabetes Month
Without doubt, diabetes is a life-changing condition. With nearly 26 million children and adults in America living with diabetes, and another 79 million at high risk for developing type 2 diabetes, the disease is taking a devastating physical, emotional and financial toll on our country.
Recent numbers by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention paint a desperate situation of where we are at, and where we are headed:
• Every 17 seconds, someone is diagnosed with diabetes.
• Diabetes kills more people each year than breast cancer and AIDS.
• Recent estimates project that as many as 1 in 3 American adults will have diabetes in 2050 unless we take steps to “Stop Diabetes.”
Lifescape Community Services is taking steps to help those already diagnosed with the disease and enhance their quality of life. Through its Meals on Wheels program, they supply diabetic meals to more than half of their home-delivered meals clients. These are clients who have already been diagnosed with diabetes and referred to Lifescape by their doctors. These healthy meals help control the symptoms of diabetes and better regulate the level of sugar in a patient’s blood. By collaborating with their physician, Lifescape helps insure a level of independence for seniors in their four-county service area, whether they are homebound or not.
If you’re living with diabetes and looking for ways to better control your condition, consider a home-delivered meal through Meals on Wheels. It’s a simple procedure. Lifescape will supply your doctor with an approved form. He or she completes the request and sends it back to Lifescape, who then adds your name to their list and will soon begin delivery. It’s easy, and you’re soon on your way to better health. Call Lifescape at (815) 963-1609 to learn more about receiving diabetic meals through Meals on Wheels.
Living with diabetes can change your life, but it doesn’t have to stop you from doing what you love. But with your help, diabetes can be stopped.
November is American Diabetes Month. This year, the American Diabetes Association is asking individuals to take a pledge and raise their hand to Stop Diabetes. Visit www.stopdiabetes.com and find out how you can help.
From the Nov. 30-Dec. 6, 2011, issue