- Rockford visitor spending jumps
- The misguided Cecil the lion debate
- State, union extend contract again
- Willow Creek left in the dust by development
- CUB helps residents find best deal
- What the Scott Walker fundraising controversy means for 2016
- Corn prices fade as supplies stay in surplus
- Cubs make history in an unfortunate way
- Pension battle headed for SCOTUS?
- Closed for Progress: downtown’s steady revival
Students receive academic awards for accounting
Financial Executives International Rockford Chapter presented $1,000 Accounting & Finance Academic Awards to William Newkirk, a senior at Rockford College; Rikki Lewis, of Roscoe, Ill., a student at Northern Illinois University (NIU); and Stefan Thomas, of Glen Ellyn, also a student at NIU.
The $1,000 awards, presented at the group’s November meeting, are to be used for tuition expenses. To be considered for the award, students must be pursuing degrees in accounting or finance. Applicants were required to submit a résumé and cover letter applying for a fictitious entry-level staff accountant position. Submissions were then critiqued by members of the selection committee and returned with constructive comments.
From the Nov. 30-Dec. 6, 2011, issue