- Tech-Friendly: Get the LG G Flex 2 and other big smartphones at U.S. Cellular
- State Roundup: Unfunded pension liability greater impact than fluctuating revenue
- ‘Death tax’ rhetoric doesn’t address the facts
- ‘We’re back': second ‘Star Wars’ teaser drops
- Sunday Service: Legalizing competition in Illinois’ auto industry
- Cullerton: Don’t bet on right-to-work zones
- State Roundup: Rauner continues “Turnaround” pitch
- Open Government: Improved FOIA laws crucial
- Legislators ask Rauner to pony up pension details
- Rockford Art Deli providing homegrown artists a place to flourish
Students receive academic awards for accounting
Financial Executives International Rockford Chapter presented $1,000 Accounting & Finance Academic Awards to William Newkirk, a senior at Rockford College; Rikki Lewis, of Roscoe, Ill., a student at Northern Illinois University (NIU); and Stefan Thomas, of Glen Ellyn, also a student at NIU.
The $1,000 awards, presented at the group’s November meeting, are to be used for tuition expenses. To be considered for the award, students must be pursuing degrees in accounting or finance. Applicants were required to submit a résumé and cover letter applying for a fictitious entry-level staff accountant position. Submissions were then critiqued by members of the selection committee and returned with constructive comments.
From the Nov. 30-Dec. 6, 2011, issue