- FIFA adds prison labor to its arsenal
- Sitting on a scoop: the story behind the V-E headlines of May 1945
- Bilderback repeats at Speedway
- US permits Arctic drilling, but questions about safety remain
- ISIS takeover of Ramadi means hard choices face the Iraqi and US governments
- State Roundup: Democrat sponsored prevailing wage amendment passes
- Facebook’s Instant Articles not a threat to media
- U of I expert: Rauner’s pension fix ‘unconstitutional’
- State Senate approves lesser penalties for marijuana possession
- State Roundup: Natural gas vehicle tax stalls in committee
Students receive academic awards for accounting
Financial Executives International Rockford Chapter presented $1,000 Accounting & Finance Academic Awards to William Newkirk, a senior at Rockford College; Rikki Lewis, of Roscoe, Ill., a student at Northern Illinois University (NIU); and Stefan Thomas, of Glen Ellyn, also a student at NIU.
The $1,000 awards, presented at the group’s November meeting, are to be used for tuition expenses. To be considered for the award, students must be pursuing degrees in accounting or finance. Applicants were required to submit a résumé and cover letter applying for a fictitious entry-level staff accountant position. Submissions were then critiqued by members of the selection committee and returned with constructive comments.
From the Nov. 30-Dec. 6, 2011, issue