- Police investigate home invasion on Applewood Lane
- Amy Newell named The Arc executive director
- Rockford Rocked Interviews: A chat with Rockford native Larry Merryman of Stonefront
- Technological assessment is needed
- Consumer advocates prep for looming telecom battle
- RSO’s Holiday Pops set for Dec. 20-21 at Coronado
- National Council of Churches president to speak in Rockford Sunday, Dec. 28
- Editorial: Got the giving spirit? Here are some places to spread it
- Week 16 NFL picks: Colts will top Cowboys, Manziel will get first win
- NIU Huskies face Marshall Thundering Herd in Boca Raton Bowl
Students receive academic awards for accounting
Financial Executives International Rockford Chapter presented $1,000 Accounting & Finance Academic Awards to William Newkirk, a senior at Rockford College; Rikki Lewis, of Roscoe, Ill., a student at Northern Illinois University (NIU); and Stefan Thomas, of Glen Ellyn, also a student at NIU.
The $1,000 awards, presented at the group’s November meeting, are to be used for tuition expenses. To be considered for the award, students must be pursuing degrees in accounting or finance. Applicants were required to submit a résumé and cover letter applying for a fictitious entry-level staff accountant position. Submissions were then critiqued by members of the selection committee and returned with constructive comments.
From the Nov. 30-Dec. 6, 2011, issue