- Lee Hamilton: November’s elections won’t resolve much of anything
- Pec Playhouse Theatre announces auditions for holiday production
- Keeping up with Aida: A western adventure, part three
- State prepares for thousands of medical marijuana applications
- Rockford’s Choices Natural Market celebrates Non-GMO Month
- Week 5 NFL picks: Lions to improve to 4-1, Packers and Bears will keep pace at 3-2
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: Revolution Brewing’s Oktoberfest offers good all-around balance
- Rockford’s Fall ArtScene at 37 locations Oct. 3-4
- Tales from the Trough: Preseason interview with ‘The Voice of the IceHogs,’ Mike Peck
- Mr. Green Car: Saltwater-powered car: the Quant e-Sportlimousine
St. Nicholas sculpture exhibition at Vineyard Books Dec. 6-10
Online Staff Report
A private collection of St. Nicholas statuary by northern Illinois artist David Seagraves will be exhibited for the first time Dec. 6-10 at Vineyard Books & Gifts, Rockford.
Timely for the holidays, this collection features figures representing various portrayals of St. Nicholas that tell the “true story” of St. Nicholas from the orphan in Asia Minor to the modern Santa.
The collection includes a bronze figure of Nicholas astride a horse with a companion figure of “Black Pete” walking ahead with switches for bad children.
Additional figures include St. Nicholas the Bishop, St. Nicholas at sea, St. Nicholas and the boys in the pickle barrel, the modern Santa, Jolly old St. Nicholas and others.
The opening-day of the exhibition (Dec. 6) will feature presentations at 1 and 7 p.m. about the true story of St. Nicholas as illustrated by each statue. Michael A Librandi, who commissioned the series, will be the featured presenter, with additional comments by artist Seagraves. A meet-and-greet with the artist will follow each presentation.
The exhibition is open to the public and free. Exhibition hours are noon-8:30 p.m., Dec. 6, and 9 a.m.-6 p.m., Dec. 7.
Seagraves has created works for numerous churches and communities in the Midwest, including St. Edward Church, Rockford, and 12 bronze low relief sculptures for Illinois National Guard Armories.
Vineyard Books & Gifts is at 1638 N. Alpine Road, Rockford, and can be reached at (815) 398-4030.