- Nov. 4 General Election Endorsements: Re-elect Jesse White
- Nov. 4 General Election Endorsements: Elect Sheila Simons as state comptroller
- Brad Roos to step down as Zion Development executive director
- Smash your pumpkin at Rockford’s Discovery Center Nov. 2
- Control the candy without limiting the Halloween fun
- RHS Ambassadors host Halloween party for hospitalized children
- Beware of the energy-sucking vampires in your home, ComEd warns
- Rockford Park District golf season begins to wrap up
- Two locals to be honored among state’s top college students
- Freshmen in Rockford schools beat state average in ‘on track’ to graduate
St. Nicholas sculpture exhibition at Vineyard Books Dec. 6-10
Online Staff Report
A private collection of St. Nicholas statuary by northern Illinois artist David Seagraves will be exhibited for the first time Dec. 6-10 at Vineyard Books & Gifts, Rockford.
Timely for the holidays, this collection features figures representing various portrayals of St. Nicholas that tell the “true story” of St. Nicholas from the orphan in Asia Minor to the modern Santa.
The collection includes a bronze figure of Nicholas astride a horse with a companion figure of “Black Pete” walking ahead with switches for bad children.
Additional figures include St. Nicholas the Bishop, St. Nicholas at sea, St. Nicholas and the boys in the pickle barrel, the modern Santa, Jolly old St. Nicholas and others.
The opening-day of the exhibition (Dec. 6) will feature presentations at 1 and 7 p.m. about the true story of St. Nicholas as illustrated by each statue. Michael A Librandi, who commissioned the series, will be the featured presenter, with additional comments by artist Seagraves. A meet-and-greet with the artist will follow each presentation.
The exhibition is open to the public and free. Exhibition hours are noon-8:30 p.m., Dec. 6, and 9 a.m.-6 p.m., Dec. 7.
Seagraves has created works for numerous churches and communities in the Midwest, including St. Edward Church, Rockford, and 12 bronze low relief sculptures for Illinois National Guard Armories.
Vineyard Books & Gifts is at 1638 N. Alpine Road, Rockford, and can be reached at (815) 398-4030.