- A closer look at fracking for natural gas
- Susan Johnson, copy editor, moves on after 21 years
- Guest Column: Clean Water Act: Supporters of clean water must make their voices heard
- Susan Johnson: Saying goodbye to a career
- Super Bowl XLIX prediction: Seahawks will top Patriots
- Sinnissippi Park improvements announced
- Rockford Park District recognized at Illinois Park and Recreation Association Conference
- Man gets natural life in prison for September 2011 murder
- Meet John Doe: Remember the crew of the space shuttle ‘Challenger’
- Tech-Friendly: Update your Adobe Flash Player today
Community rallies for Laurent House
Something really good happened. This week, nearly everyone enthusiastically pulled in the same direction. What could possibly have brought together individual citizens, the media, the city council, businesses and numerous organizations like Rockford Area Convention & Visitors Bureau and Community Foundation of Northern Illinois, to name a few?
The Laurent House on Spring Brook Road was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, acknowledged to be America’s greatest architect. Its original owners still live in the house, but soon must move to an assisted living facility.
The house must be auctioned off this week. So, a campaign to raise funds to acquire the house so that it can be preserved took on new urgency.
Small and large contributions began to flow in. Good samaritans, leaders and average people set aside their differences and took action; that is, they actually wrote checks or pledged dollars to help preserve a priceless and irreplaceable asset.
Let’s hope the campaign is successful. But regardless of the outcome, we all benefited because we talked with each other about saving something important, and we took action to make our collective future better.
That’s precisely the kind of Rockford we all want to be part of.
Friends of Ziock Organizer
From the Dec. 14-20, 2011, issue