- Tales from the Trough: IceHogs rebound with four straight wins
- Clean water groups, small business owners, community leaders celebrate Clean Water Act
- Police investigate death of 71-year-old man who was struck in October while riding in his wheelchair
- Woman gets 10 years for 2013 involuntary manslaughter
- Secretary of State Police to target abuse of disability parking on Black Friday
- Illinois Commerce Commission approves 500-mile direct-current electric wind power line
- Meet John Doe: Rockford could benefit from the new Digital Manufacturing and Design Innovation Institute in Chicago
- Tech-Friendly: Surface Pro 3 ad comparing it to MacBook Air is a joke
- Chicago restaurateur Billy Lawless to introduce Obama during immigration speech in Chicago
- Travel Wisconsin Snow Conditions Report assists snow seekers
Rockford to host 2013 national water-ski tournament
Champion waterskiers will take to the Rock River in 2013 when the Rockford region hosts the 39th Division 1 National Water-ski Tournament.
The tournament will take place Aug. 8-11, 2013, and will draw approximately 14 teams and bring nearly 5,000 competitors, crew, judges and fans.
The tournament will generate an estimated $1 million for local hotels, restaurants and retail outlets.
The Rockford region last hosted the event in 2009.
Ski Broncs Promotion Director Jennifer Pace approached the Rockford Area Convention & Visitors Bureau (RACVB) about bringing the championship event back to the region at the RACVB roundtable discussions in 2010.
Pace explained: “Hosting a national competition creates stronger community awareness for our organization. The Ski Broncs are more likely to gain sponsors and grow community support, which provides the tools and finances needed for our summer performances. The competition will also bring thousands of people into our community, which will benefit local businesses.”
The Ski Broncs worked with RACVB, the Rockford Park District, the City of Loves Park and other organizations to help find the funding needed to strengthen the team and host the regional competition this past summer. This allowed the team to prove their ability to host a competition and put the organization in a position to be able to bid on the national event.
From the Dec. 14-20, 2011, issue