- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
- Week 13 NFL picks: Bears will hand Lions another Turkey Day loss
- Rockford’s holiday tradition Stroll on State set for Saturday, Nov. 29
- Webb’s RVC Studio winter full of love stories
- Tube Talk: ‘American Masters: Bing Crosby Rediscovered’ to be featured on PBS
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: A nice break-in beer for those who want to try bourbon barrel-aged beer
- Tales from the Trough: IceHogs rebound with four straight wins
- Clean water groups, small business owners, community leaders celebrate Clean Water Act
- Police investigate death of 71-year-old man who was struck in October while riding in his wheelchair
Skate With Santa at Carlson Ice Arena Dec. 18
Rockford Park District’s Carlson Ice Arena will host a Skate With Santa public ice skating session from 2 to 4 p.m., Sunday, Dec. 18. The family-friendly fun will include free skating lessons, prize drawings, pictures taken with Santa ($2 per photo), and holiday music by a DJ. Admission, including skate rental, is $5; children ages 2 and younger are admitted free. (Discount coupons not accepted for this event.) Adapted equipment is available for skaters with disabilities.
Sapora Playworld becomes Gingerbread World — Santa’s Workshop from noon to 5 p.m., Sunday, Dec. 18, where children ages newborn to 12 can play all afternoon exploring the lighted winter wonderland, joining in holiday games and crafts, decorating cookies, and have pictures taken with Santa ($2 per photo). Dress in your best elf costume and be entered to win a grand prize. The three-story indoor playground is inside Carlson Ice Arena, 4150 N. Perryville Road, Loves Park. Admission is $5 for children ages 3-12, $2 for ages 1-2. (Discount coupons not accepted for this event.)
Special Skate ’N Play offer — attend both the skating and Playworld special events Dec. 18 for $7 per person.
Visit www.rockfordparkdistrict.org or call Carlson Ice Arena at (815) 969-4069 or Sapora Playworld at (815) 969-4082. For details about accessibility for people with disabilities, call (815) 987-8800.
From the Dec. 14-20, 2011, issue