- Boys’ basketball holiday tournament tips off tonight
- Ribbon-cutting for Children’s Holiday Shoppe Nov. 26; shop is open Nov. 29-Dec. 21
- Rockford Rescue Mission invites community to Thanksgiving banquet Nov. 26
- Rockton’s new business district welcomes family owned Dr. Detail U.S. Cellular
- 2014 Illinois Emerging Writers Competition winners named
- Open house for new library executive director tonight
- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
Busy Winter Days at Discovery Center Dec. 20-23, 26-30
Online Staff Report
The kids will soon be out of school for their winter break. But that doesn’t mean it’s “tis the season” for kids to be without reason! The holidays are a great time to exercise the mind.
Rockford’s Discovery Center provides the perfect holiday mix … family fun, physical activity and even a little science! And Dec. 20-23 and Dec. 26-30, Discovery Center will be celebrating winter with extra fun during its Busy Winter Days.
With more than 250 hands-on exhibits, holiday planetarium shows, special craft activities and live science demonstrations during the holidays, kids and adults will have fun and maybe even learn a little something about science.
Visitors can explore the shapes of the holiday season with special hands-on crafts, puzzles, and fun art projects each day from 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Busy Winter Days activities are included with admission to the museum. Planetarium shows are $1 for the general public and 50 cents for Discovery Center members.
Discovery Center will be open regular hours Christmas Eve, New Year’s Eve, and New Year’s Day, but closed Christmas Day.
Discovery Center Museum is inside Riverfront Museum Park, 711 N. Main St., Rockford. Hours are 10 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Saturday, and noon-5 p.m., Sunday. Admission is $7 adults and children ages 2-17, and free to children 1 year or younger and museum members. Call (815) 963-6769 or visit www.discoverycentermuseum.org for more details.