$1.6 million FEMA grant to assist Winnebago County in removal of 12 Edgemere Terrace homes
Online Staff Report
CHICAGO — The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has released $1,667,191 in Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) funds to Winnebago County for the acquisition and removal of 12 homes in Edgemere Terrace that have been repeatedly damaged by flooding.
“The Hazard Mitigation Grant Program enables communities to implement critical mitigation measures to reduce the risk of loss of life and property,” said Andrew Velasquez III, regional administrator, FEMA Region V. “The acquisition of these homes in Winnebago County permanently removes structures from the floodway and greatly reduces the financial impact on individuals and the community when flooding occurs in this area.”
Located within the floodway of the Rock River, these homes are prone to frequent flooding. Acquiring this land will establish a permanent open space in the area, which will result in a reduction of damages and lessen the impact of flooding to the local community.
HMGP provides grants to state and local governments to implement long-term hazard mitigation measures. Through HMGP, FEMA will pay 75 percent of the $2,222,921 project. The remaining 25 percent of the funds, $555,730, will be provided by Winnebago County.
Print This Article