- Three female fugitives wanted in New Jersey restaurant theft arrested in Illinois
- Man guilty in 2012 crash into home that injured 8-year-old
- McDonald’s: Federal complaint says company is joint employer
- T-Mobile settlement: $90M for cell phone bill cramming
- Shelter Care Ministries gets $30,000 grant
- Even more dead bees?
- Holiday travel: 98.6 million plan getaway, most on record
- Scam artists posing as utility reps, demanding payment
- Holiday mailing deadlines approach, Rockford Post Office warns
- Hispanics more than half of all renters, yet most are uninsured
Chandler Starr Miller deadline extended to Jan. 6
Registration deadline for the Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center’s 2012 Chandler Starr Miller Scholarship Competition has been extended to Friday, Jan. 6, 2012.
In this competition, young musicians aged third grade through college (maximum age 25) from northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin will compete in 12 musical divisions for monetary awards. Application forms can be downloaded at https://www.mendelssohnpac.org/awards-and-scholarships/chandler-starr-miller/index.cfm.
The 2012 competition will be Saturday, Feb. 25, 2012. Competition locations to be announced. A Winners’ Recital featuring the first-place winner in each division will be at 2 p.m., Sunday, Feb. 26, 2012, at Second Congregational United Church of Christ, 215 N. Court St., Rockford. All competitors will be recognized at the recital.
Through this competition, now in its 51st year, the Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center awards nearly $6,000 annually to students in Elementary piano and strings, Junior piano and strings, and Senior and College piano, strings, vocal and non-string orchestral instrument divisions.
Since 1884, the Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center, 415 N. Church St., has been a source of musical leadership and excellence for the residents of northern Illinois. Call the Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center at (815) 964-9713 or visit www.mendelssohnpac.org.
From the Dec. 21-27, 2011, issue