- ‘Death tax’ rhetoric doesn’t address the facts
- ‘We’re back': second ‘Star Wars’ teaser drops
- Sunday Service: Legalizing competition in Illinois’ auto industry
- Cullerton: Don’t bet on right-to-work zones
- State Roundup: Rauner continues “Turnaround” pitch
- Open Government: Improved FOIA laws crucial
- Legislators ask Rauner to pony up pension details
- Rockford Art Deli providing homegrown artists a place to flourish
- Talcott acquisition continues west side trend
- Record Store Day brings vinyl back into the limelight
Chandler Starr Miller deadline extended to Jan. 6
Registration deadline for the Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center’s 2012 Chandler Starr Miller Scholarship Competition has been extended to Friday, Jan. 6, 2012.
In this competition, young musicians aged third grade through college (maximum age 25) from northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin will compete in 12 musical divisions for monetary awards. Application forms can be downloaded at https://www.mendelssohnpac.org/awards-and-scholarships/chandler-starr-miller/index.cfm.
The 2012 competition will be Saturday, Feb. 25, 2012. Competition locations to be announced. A Winners’ Recital featuring the first-place winner in each division will be at 2 p.m., Sunday, Feb. 26, 2012, at Second Congregational United Church of Christ, 215 N. Court St., Rockford. All competitors will be recognized at the recital.
Through this competition, now in its 51st year, the Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center awards nearly $6,000 annually to students in Elementary piano and strings, Junior piano and strings, and Senior and College piano, strings, vocal and non-string orchestral instrument divisions.
Since 1884, the Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center, 415 N. Church St., has been a source of musical leadership and excellence for the residents of northern Illinois. Call the Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center at (815) 964-9713 or visit www.mendelssohnpac.org.
From the Dec. 21-27, 2011, issue