- The Odds Man: Three road dogs good bets in NFL Week 8
- IceHogs nipped in third period, return home Saturday
- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
- Lincoln associates found in recently discovered 1840 Menard County census
- BIFF Year ’Round presents the documentary ‘Slingshot’ Oct. 29
- Rockford’s Discovery Center presents ‘Spooky Science’ Oct. 25
- Academic Dr. Duke Pesta speaks against Common Core, part 2
- Rockford Record Crawl 2014 celebrates music, indie retailers
- Early voting continues after ballot error corrected
Chandler Starr Miller deadline extended to Jan. 6
Registration deadline for the Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center’s 2012 Chandler Starr Miller Scholarship Competition has been extended to Friday, Jan. 6, 2012.
In this competition, young musicians aged third grade through college (maximum age 25) from northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin will compete in 12 musical divisions for monetary awards. Application forms can be downloaded at https://www.mendelssohnpac.org/awards-and-scholarships/chandler-starr-miller/index.cfm.
The 2012 competition will be Saturday, Feb. 25, 2012. Competition locations to be announced. A Winners’ Recital featuring the first-place winner in each division will be at 2 p.m., Sunday, Feb. 26, 2012, at Second Congregational United Church of Christ, 215 N. Court St., Rockford. All competitors will be recognized at the recital.
Through this competition, now in its 51st year, the Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center awards nearly $6,000 annually to students in Elementary piano and strings, Junior piano and strings, and Senior and College piano, strings, vocal and non-string orchestral instrument divisions.
Since 1884, the Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center, 415 N. Church St., has been a source of musical leadership and excellence for the residents of northern Illinois. Call the Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center at (815) 964-9713 or visit www.mendelssohnpac.org.
From the Dec. 21-27, 2011, issue