- Three female fugitives wanted in New Jersey restaurant theft arrested in Illinois
- Man guilty in 2012 crash into home that injured 8-year-old
- McDonald’s: Federal complaint says company is joint employer
- T-Mobile settlement: $90M for cell phone bill cramming
- Shelter Care Ministries gets $30,000 grant
- Even more dead bees?
- Holiday travel: 98.6 million plan getaway, most on record
- Scam artists posing as utility reps, demanding payment
- Holiday mailing deadlines approach, Rockford Post Office warns
- Hispanics more than half of all renters, yet most are uninsured
Cross country skiing, snowshoeing offered at Sinnissippi Golf Course
Once enough snow comes, cross country skiing and snowshoeing will be available again this winter at the Winter Touring Center in the Sinnissippi Golf Course Pro Shop, 1401 N. Second St., Rockford.
Paddle and Trail operates the Winter Touring Center in partnership with Rockford Park District. Paddle and Trail will offer lessons and rentals at the center Saturdays and Sundays, weather permitting.
Lessons will be from 9 to 11 a.m., and rentals will be available from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Traditional cross country touring skis, snowshoes and skate skis will be available for children and adults. Warm drinks and snacks will be available inside the touring center. Paddle and Trail also grooms trails at Sinnissippi Golf Course, offering 2k loops for classic skiing and skate skiing.
This winter, Paddle and Trail will be introducing a new series of Wednesday night cross country ski and snowshoe races for skiers of all abilities. Elite skiers, beginners and even children are welcome to participate in this series.
The Wednesday Night Ski Series will start in early December and run through early March, subject to snow conditions. Timed ski races will begin at 6 p.m., with casual and social skiing and snowshoeing afterward.
Equipment rentals are offered on a first-come, first-served basis, and reservations are recommended. Paddle and Trail also offers rentals at their Loves Park location at 7212 N. Alpine Road, Loves Park. Equipment can be rented by the hour, half-day, full day or multiple days. Paddle and Trail also offers ski service and repair. Contact Paddle and Trail for trail conditions or to reserve a lesson or rental at (815) 636-9066 or visit www.paddleandtrail.com.
Classes at the Winter Touring Center
Snowshoeing 101: The Basics — Wednesday, Dec. 21, 6-8 p.m., $25 per person, includes rental. Call (815) 636-9066 for reservations.
Snowshoeing 201: Over Hill and Dale — Wednesday, Dec. 28, 6-8 p.m., $25 per person for lesson, plus $15 for snowshoe rental. Call (815) 636-9066 for reservations.
From the Dec. 21-27, 2011, issue