- Telephone fraud on the rise, BBB reports
- Pet Talk: The seeing eye guide dog birthday
- State Police seize 155 pounds of cannabis during traffic stop
- Mitt Romney won’t run in 2016
- Man shot three times near Oakley Avenue, West Jefferson Street
- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
Deadline Jan. 6 for Concerto Competition
Jan. 6 is the deadline for young musicians to enter the 2012 Concerto Competition presented by the Rockford Symphony Orchestra and Rock Valley College.
Awards include three cash prizes and a featured performance with the Rockford Symphony Youth Orchestra on their spring 2012 concert at the Coronado Performing Arts Center.
Musicians must be between the ages of 13 and 21 and live within a 50-mile radius of Rockford to qualify for the competition. The competition will be Saturday, Jan. 21, in the Performing Arts Room in the Education Resource Center at Rock Valley College.
Competition entries are accepted for piano, strings, voice, woodwinds, brass and percussion. Competition pieces should not exceed 15 minutes and must be appropriate for performance with a youth orchestra, such as a movement from a concerto, or an aria for voice. Applicants are responsible for providing their own accompanist.
Recent winners include Hanna Bingham, violin, of DeKalb, Ill., in 2011; Genevieve Smeltzer, violin, of DeKalb, Ill., in 2010; and Colette Metras, horn, of Pecatonica, Ill., in 2009.
More details and applications are available at the Rockford Symphony Orchestra offices inside Riverfront Museum Park at 711 N. Main St. in Rockford, or visit http://www.rockfordsymphony.com/rsyo/concerto.asp.
From the Dec. 21-27, 2011, issue