- Former Belvidere North teacher pleads guilty to sex charge
- Police ask for help in weekend armed robbery
- Belvidere football coach returns to sidelines after hazing probe
- IceHogs split weekend on the road
- Dog and cat adoption event at Children’s Home + Aid Oct. 20
- Arrest warrant issued in string of burglaries
- The Odds Man: Bills, Seahawks good bets in NFL Week 7
- SwedishAmerican to build new clinic in Byron
- Chrysler recall affects 907k vehicles
- 7-year-old struck by car near Walker School
Deadline Jan. 6 for Concerto Competition
Jan. 6 is the deadline for young musicians to enter the 2012 Concerto Competition presented by the Rockford Symphony Orchestra and Rock Valley College.
Awards include three cash prizes and a featured performance with the Rockford Symphony Youth Orchestra on their spring 2012 concert at the Coronado Performing Arts Center.
Musicians must be between the ages of 13 and 21 and live within a 50-mile radius of Rockford to qualify for the competition. The competition will be Saturday, Jan. 21, in the Performing Arts Room in the Education Resource Center at Rock Valley College.
Competition entries are accepted for piano, strings, voice, woodwinds, brass and percussion. Competition pieces should not exceed 15 minutes and must be appropriate for performance with a youth orchestra, such as a movement from a concerto, or an aria for voice. Applicants are responsible for providing their own accompanist.
Recent winners include Hanna Bingham, violin, of DeKalb, Ill., in 2011; Genevieve Smeltzer, violin, of DeKalb, Ill., in 2010; and Colette Metras, horn, of Pecatonica, Ill., in 2009.
More details and applications are available at the Rockford Symphony Orchestra offices inside Riverfront Museum Park at 711 N. Main St. in Rockford, or visit http://www.rockfordsymphony.com/rsyo/concerto.asp.
From the Dec. 21-27, 2011, issue