- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Deadline Jan. 6 for Concerto Competition
Jan. 6 is the deadline for young musicians to enter the 2012 Concerto Competition presented by the Rockford Symphony Orchestra and Rock Valley College.
Awards include three cash prizes and a featured performance with the Rockford Symphony Youth Orchestra on their spring 2012 concert at the Coronado Performing Arts Center.
Musicians must be between the ages of 13 and 21 and live within a 50-mile radius of Rockford to qualify for the competition. The competition will be Saturday, Jan. 21, in the Performing Arts Room in the Education Resource Center at Rock Valley College.
Competition entries are accepted for piano, strings, voice, woodwinds, brass and percussion. Competition pieces should not exceed 15 minutes and must be appropriate for performance with a youth orchestra, such as a movement from a concerto, or an aria for voice. Applicants are responsible for providing their own accompanist.
Recent winners include Hanna Bingham, violin, of DeKalb, Ill., in 2011; Genevieve Smeltzer, violin, of DeKalb, Ill., in 2010; and Colette Metras, horn, of Pecatonica, Ill., in 2009.
More details and applications are available at the Rockford Symphony Orchestra offices inside Riverfront Museum Park at 711 N. Main St. in Rockford, or visit http://www.rockfordsymphony.com/rsyo/concerto.asp.
From the Dec. 21-27, 2011, issue