- Tales from the Trough: IceHogs rebound with four straight wins
- Clean water groups, small business owners, community leaders celebrate Clean Water Act
- Police investigate death of 71-year-old man who was struck in October while riding in his wheelchair
- Woman gets 10 years for 2013 involuntary manslaughter
- Secretary of State Police to target abuse of disability parking on Black Friday
- Illinois Commerce Commission approves 500-mile direct-current electric wind power line
- Meet John Doe: Rockford could benefit from the new Digital Manufacturing and Design Innovation Institute in Chicago
- Tech-Friendly: Surface Pro 3 ad comparing it to MacBook Air is a joke
- Chicago restaurateur Billy Lawless to introduce Obama during immigration speech in Chicago
- Travel Wisconsin Snow Conditions Report assists snow seekers
Deadline Jan. 6 for Concerto Competition
Jan. 6 is the deadline for young musicians to enter the 2012 Concerto Competition presented by the Rockford Symphony Orchestra and Rock Valley College.
Awards include three cash prizes and a featured performance with the Rockford Symphony Youth Orchestra on their spring 2012 concert at the Coronado Performing Arts Center.
Musicians must be between the ages of 13 and 21 and live within a 50-mile radius of Rockford to qualify for the competition. The competition will be Saturday, Jan. 21, in the Performing Arts Room in the Education Resource Center at Rock Valley College.
Competition entries are accepted for piano, strings, voice, woodwinds, brass and percussion. Competition pieces should not exceed 15 minutes and must be appropriate for performance with a youth orchestra, such as a movement from a concerto, or an aria for voice. Applicants are responsible for providing their own accompanist.
Recent winners include Hanna Bingham, violin, of DeKalb, Ill., in 2011; Genevieve Smeltzer, violin, of DeKalb, Ill., in 2010; and Colette Metras, horn, of Pecatonica, Ill., in 2009.
More details and applications are available at the Rockford Symphony Orchestra offices inside Riverfront Museum Park at 711 N. Main St. in Rockford, or visit http://www.rockfordsymphony.com/rsyo/concerto.asp.
From the Dec. 21-27, 2011, issue