- Two adults, two kids dead in Dec. 20 Rockford shooting
- Teen in custody following shooting on Crestview
- Man sentenced to 38 years for May 2008 murder
- EarthTalk: Still in denial about climate
- Three female fugitives wanted in New Jersey restaurant theft arrested in Illinois
- Man guilty in 2012 crash into home that injured 8-year-old
- McDonald’s: Federal complaint says company is joint employer
- T-Mobile settlement: $90M for cell phone bill cramming
- Shelter Care Ministries gets $30,000 grant
- Even more dead bees?
Fire Department Division Chief Jim Strey to retire
The Rockford Fire Department will bid farewell to Division Chief Jim Strey at a retirement party to be held from 2 to 4 p.m., Thursday, Dec. 29, at the headquarters, 204 N. First St. Strey has had a long and successful career at the department, starting Nov. 16, 1981, as a probationary firefighter. He came up through the ranks, achieving the rank of lieutenant Aug. 19, 1991, then captain Dec. 16, 1996. He went on to become a district chief Jan. 3, 2009, and then division chief, the position he has held since March 17, 2009.
He and his wife, Jill, have two sons, Eric and Dan, who will be with him at the retirement party. The family lives in Cherry Valley. Refreshments will be served, and the public is welcome to attend and wish him well for the future.
From the Dec. 21-27, 2011, issue