- Guest Commentary: Earth Day or April Fools Day?
- State Roundup: Concerns raised about proposed change in DUI pot standard
- Bill would decrease pot penalties; small amounts would draw only ticket, fine
- Senate votes to restore human service cuts; bill moves to House for consideration
- Bill to restrict red light cameras passes House
- State Roundup: Budget fix in current FY not yet done
- State Roundup: GOMB Director won’t support borrowing
- Economists: pros, cons to raising the state fuel tax
- ‘Hogs fall just shy of Midwest title
- Fork and Stein Urban Gourmet delivers beer infused delicacies to Rockford
Fire Department Division Chief Jim Strey to retire
The Rockford Fire Department will bid farewell to Division Chief Jim Strey at a retirement party to be held from 2 to 4 p.m., Thursday, Dec. 29, at the headquarters, 204 N. First St. Strey has had a long and successful career at the department, starting Nov. 16, 1981, as a probationary firefighter. He came up through the ranks, achieving the rank of lieutenant Aug. 19, 1991, then captain Dec. 16, 1996. He went on to become a district chief Jan. 3, 2009, and then division chief, the position he has held since March 17, 2009.
He and his wife, Jill, have two sons, Eric and Dan, who will be with him at the retirement party. The family lives in Cherry Valley. Refreshments will be served, and the public is welcome to attend and wish him well for the future.
From the Dec. 21-27, 2011, issue