- Beware of online Halloween scams
- Rockton Lions raise funds for Talcott Free Library during Oct. 10 Candy Day
- Former Belvidere North teacher pleads guilty to sex charge
- Police ask for help in weekend armed robbery
- Belvidere football coach returns to sidelines after hazing probe
- IceHogs split weekend on the road
- Dog and cat adoption event at Children’s Home + Aid Oct. 20
- Arrest warrant issued in string of burglaries
- The Odds Man: Bills, Seahawks good bets in NFL Week 7
- SwedishAmerican to build new clinic in Byron
Fire Department Division Chief Jim Strey to retire
The Rockford Fire Department will bid farewell to Division Chief Jim Strey at a retirement party to be held from 2 to 4 p.m., Thursday, Dec. 29, at the headquarters, 204 N. First St. Strey has had a long and successful career at the department, starting Nov. 16, 1981, as a probationary firefighter. He came up through the ranks, achieving the rank of lieutenant Aug. 19, 1991, then captain Dec. 16, 1996. He went on to become a district chief Jan. 3, 2009, and then division chief, the position he has held since March 17, 2009.
He and his wife, Jill, have two sons, Eric and Dan, who will be with him at the retirement party. The family lives in Cherry Valley. Refreshments will be served, and the public is welcome to attend and wish him well for the future.
From the Dec. 21-27, 2011, issue