- Democrats readying $36 billion budget
- FIFA adds prison labor to its arsenal
- Sitting on a scoop: the story behind the V-E headlines of May 1945
- Bilderback repeats at Speedway
- US permits Arctic drilling, but questions about safety remain
- ISIS takeover of Ramadi means hard choices face the Iraqi and US governments
- State Roundup: Democrat sponsored prevailing wage amendment passes
- Facebook’s Instant Articles not a threat to media
- U of I expert: Rauner’s pension fix ‘unconstitutional’
- State Senate approves lesser penalties for marijuana possession
Fire Department Division Chief Jim Strey to retire
The Rockford Fire Department will bid farewell to Division Chief Jim Strey at a retirement party to be held from 2 to 4 p.m., Thursday, Dec. 29, at the headquarters, 204 N. First St. Strey has had a long and successful career at the department, starting Nov. 16, 1981, as a probationary firefighter. He came up through the ranks, achieving the rank of lieutenant Aug. 19, 1991, then captain Dec. 16, 1996. He went on to become a district chief Jan. 3, 2009, and then division chief, the position he has held since March 17, 2009.
He and his wife, Jill, have two sons, Eric and Dan, who will be with him at the retirement party. The family lives in Cherry Valley. Refreshments will be served, and the public is welcome to attend and wish him well for the future.
From the Dec. 21-27, 2011, issue