- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
- Sharing memories of Ernie Banks
- EarthTalk: What fish can we eat?
- Rock Valley College hosts entrepreneurship event Jan. 30
- Tube Talk: ‘The Americans’ begins third season
- Conservatives join New Hampshire rally in support of campaign finance reform
Five area teens earn Eagle Scout honors
Troop 700 honored five of their troop members who earned their Eagle Scout at a program Sunday, Dec. 18, at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 324 N. University Drive, Rockford.
Christopher Peterson earned his Eagle by having 16 volunteers going to Black Hawk Forest Preserve to pull out honeysuckle trees that had taken over the area. They worked for three hours tugging, digging and cutting down the trees, which were small up to about 8 feet.
Joseph Peterson organized a group of 14 to go out to the Atwood Golf Course to plant 75 trees. It took only an hour once they got started. The trees were donated by the Winnebago County Forest Preserve.
Jordon Peterson organized a group of 15 or more people to go out to Camp Winnebago, YMCA, to make a trail wide enough for cars, through the forest, about 300 feet long, and then covered the ground with mulch.
Wesley Wright organized a group of about 15 people to plant 75 trees in a field owned by the Winnebago County Forest Preserve. It took a couple of hours to complete.
Evan Gallagher organized a group of about 15 people to go to Kishwaukee Gorge Forest Preserve and stain/paint a wooden stairway that leads down to the gorge. It took about 3 hours total.
Through earning their Eagle Scout, the boys showed leadership by organizing their crews in completing a project that was first approved by both their Scout leaders and the Boy Scout office. Each project took months to plan and then to do.
From the Dec. 21-27, 2011, issue