- Woman, two teens arrested following narcotics investigation
- Former county officials charged with theft
- New Zion Baptist participates in National Back to Church Sunday Sept. 21
- Donors celebrate new school health center
- Debris cleanup underway near Fordham Dam
- Some good, some bad in Obama executive order on protecting antibiotics
- Two arrested on cannabis charges after search of detached garage on North Henrietta
- Man guilty of drug charges faces 60 years in prison
- Rockford BBB aware of ‘Microsoft’ phone scam
- Judge: Chad Grimm will remain on Illinois governor ballot
Rockford Park District offers winter break activities
Online Staff Report
Rockford Park District has plenty of ways for students on winter break to stay busy, and for families to spend quality time together. Following is a list of special programs and events going on at various Rockford Park District facilities:
Nicholas Conservatory & Gardens, 1354 N. Second St., Rockford
• “@Nicholas” — 11 a.m.-2 p.m., Dec. 27-28, 31. Staff from Atwood Environmental Center will lead participants in hands-on plant-related crafts and activities. @Nicholas is free with admission.
• Poinsettia Show — Now through Jan. 8. This best-selling flowering potted plant is even more popular this time of the year. Find out why and view a special poinsettia tree. Poinsettia Show takes place during normal operating hours. Be sure to stop at Garden Gate Gifts for any last-minute gifts or post-holiday shopping.
Carlson Ice Arena, 4150 N. Perryville Road, Loves Park
• Holiday Public Skate — 11 a.m.-3 p.m., Dec. 26-31.
• Adult and Youth Open Hockey — Adult and youth hockey players can hit the ice at various times Dec. 26-30. For a complete schedule and pricing, go to rockfordparkdistrict.org/ice.
Sapora Playworld, Inside Carlson Ice Arena, 4150 N. Perryville Road, Loves Park
• Sapora Playworld is an exciting indoor playground with three levels of fun. It is a perfect place to bring children to play, explore, and exercise in a safe, secure, soft play structure designed for children ages 5-12.
Riverview Ice House, 324 N. Madison St., Rockford
• Open Hockey — Adult hockey players can hit the ice from 4:30 to 6:20 p.m., Dec. 26, for Open Hockey. For a complete schedule and pricing, go to rockfordparkdistrict.org/ice.
BMO Harris Winter Wonderland, Davis Park, 320 S. Wyman St., Rockford
• BMO Harris Winter Wonderland is the world’s largest outdoor synthetic ice rink. The 12,000-square-foot synthetic ice surface allows skating in any temperature. Holiday hours: are 4-8 p.m., Dec. 23; noon-4 p.m., Dec. 24; 4-8 p.m., Dec. 26; and 4-8 p.m., Dec. 31. The first 100 people Dec. 31 will receive a glow-in-the-dark necklace. A sparkling grape juice toast will be held at 6 p.m. Admission is $3; skate rental is $2; and spectators are admitted free.
‘Tis the season to learn a new skill
Rockford Park District offers a variety of lessons for adults and youth. Registration is open for programs starting in January and February. For more details, pick up a copy of the Winter/Spring Guide at any Rockford Park District facility, or download it at rockfordparkdistrict.org/programbrochures.