- Telephone fraud on the rise, BBB reports
- Pet Talk: The seeing eye guide dog birthday
- State Police seize 155 pounds of cannabis during traffic stop
- Mitt Romney won’t run in 2016
- Man shot three times near Oakley Avenue, West Jefferson Street
- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
Children and families need your help this Christmas season
There is much to like about our American celebration of a baby’s birth more than 2,000 years ago. Among my favorites are the decorative lights that send a message of cheer and friendliness through the darkness.
The holy birth happened in a town where Joseph and Mary were strangers. Yet, Jesus’ birth was welcomed by angels, shepherds and Wise Men. Their presence and gifts must have provided “lights” of support for the family that soon after would relocate, not returning home where relatives could help with their child.
For families that are uprooted, when one or both parents are “moved” to the court system, one “light” of hope for the children involved is CASA. Volunteer advocates care about the children, know them, learn their needs, and consult with the people in their lives. Advocates then compile their information for the judge who will make determinations on best placement for the children.
Is there anyone who could use your friendship this year? Could you provide a break for someone taking care of little ones? Drop off a plate of cookies? Could you spend 20 or 30 minutes in conversation with a person who is lonely? If you can donate more time, would you consider advocating for children who are in the court system?
In this season that celebrates families, CASA appreciates its advocates and benefactors, may all have a brighter, friendlier Christmas because of kindnesses both given and received.
CASA Board of Directors
P.S. – The Lee County CASA Bowl-a-thon will be Sunday, Jan. 29 at Plum Hollow Lanes. Join us for a fun afternoon.
From the Dec. 28, 2011-Jan. 3, 2012, issue