- Commentary: Walker’s budget calls for schools to stop reporting sexual assaults
- Wallace hopes for redevelopment expansion
- Teravainen makes instant impact on return to ‘Hawks
- Oregon mayor reacts to Exelon talk of closing nuclear plant
- GiGi’s benefit for Down syndrome, March 21
- What’s the future hold for Rose?
- ‘Hogs keep pace in tight Midwest
- Qatar continues to confound
- Meet John Doe: Keep public notices in print
- Commentary: Rauner’s minimum wage plan just more of the same from GOP
Guest Column: YouthBuild needs your support
By Kerry Knodle
Executive Director, YouthBuild Rockford
This fall, Comprehensive Community Solutions started the 17th year of our YouthBuild Rockford Program. Over the past 16 years, they have enjoyed the support of our federal, state and local governments as well as a variety of both public and private organizations for this important program serving young adults in our community. Yet, we also know that there are those in our community who either don’t know us or fully understand the significant benefits that this program offers to the young people we serve, nor the extent or costs of the dropout crisis gripping our community.
As we near the end of 2011 and think toward the future – 2012 marks the 20th anniversary for our organization — I want to invite you to support our work by becoming a friend of YouthBuild. By becoming our “friend,” you have an opportunity to help us reverse the growing crisis of high school dropouts in our community. In addition, your contribution will help support our other important work, including: Project Welcome Home, Salvage Too — Rockford ReUse Center, and our development of affordable housing.
For those of you who have generously contributed in the past, we thank you and hope you will consider increasing your contribution. The long-term success for the young people we serve and our community lies in generating significant support of individuals and businesses in the community.
Best wishes for the holiday season.
From the Dec. 28, 2011-Jan. 3, 2012, issue