- Conservatives join New Hampshire rally in support of campaign finance reform
- 11 public housing residents complete job readiness training
- Youth health care enrollment event at NIU Rockford Jan. 29
- More than 50 employers at Jan. 29 job fair
- School district’s credit rating remains solid
- State Police seize LSD, cannabis, U.S. currency in I-80 arrest
- Park District names employee, team of the year
- A closer look at fracking for natural gas
- Susan Johnson, copy editor, moves on after 21 years
- Guest Column: Clean Water Act: Supporters of clean water must make their voices heard
Mendelssohn to participate in endowment challenge grant program
• Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center’s goal is to raise $150,000 for their endowment over the next three years
Rockford’s Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center has been selected to participate in the Carroll H. Starr Endowment Challenge Grant Program through the Community Foundation of Northern Illinois (CFNIL).
The Carroll H. Starr Endowment Challenge is a unique opportunity for nonprofits in Boone, Ogle, Stephenson and Winnebago counties to build a permanent endowment at CFNIL and receive $1 for every $3 raised.
Through the challenge, CFNIL matches $1 for every $3 raised by the selected non-profits up to $50,000 to build an endowment. Once established, the permanent endowment fund will provide the nonprofits with a stable source of discretionary income that will last forever.
The Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center’s challenge goal is to raise $150,000 for their endowment over the next three years. If Mendelssohn meets that goal, CFNIL will match up to $50,000 of those funds.
Mendelssohn will use the annual interest from their endowment to increase the number of scholarships the organization gives to youth musicians, and expand its music performance and educational programming.
“We at the Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center are so grateful to the Community Foundation of Northern Illinois for giving us this opportunity to build an endowment for our organization,” said Beverly Broyles, Mendelssohn’s executive director. “This endowment will represent a promise to our donors and supporters that Mendelssohn is planning to be here, serving our community, for the next 127 years and beyond.”
CFNIL is the area’s largest provider of grants and services. Stewarding almost $50 million in assets and more than 400 funds, the foundation awards more than $3 million each year on behalf of caring donors who want to give something back to their community.
Since 1884, the Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center has been a source of musical leadership and excellence for the residents of northern Illinois. The Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center, a nonprofit organization at 415 N. Church St., in Rockford, serves the community with a range of music programming, youth programs and educational outreach opportunities.
To donate to the Mendelssohn Endowment Fund, or for more about upcoming events and concerts, call the Mendelssohn Performing Arts Center at (815) 964-9713 or visit www.mendelssohnpac.org.
From the Dec. 28, 2011-Jan. 3, 2012, issue