- Telephone fraud on the rise, BBB reports
- Pet Talk: The seeing eye guide dog birthday
- State Police seize 155 pounds of cannabis during traffic stop
- Mitt Romney won’t run in 2016
- Man shot three times near Oakley Avenue, West Jefferson Street
- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
RVC student wins NetRiders competition
Rock Valley College student Casey Schoonover has won the Cisco Networking Academy NetRiders competition, a competition that started with 709 participants representing 39 states and six provinces in the U.S. and Canada.
Schoonover advanced through three competitive rounds and won first place Friday, Dec. 2, in a final round that included 44 competitors.
Cisco Networking Academy NetRiders is an opportunity for students and alumni to showcase their IT/Networking skills and gain visibility among talent recruiters in the growing ICT and networking field.
The competition is organized by Cisco as an opportunity for Networking Academy students to participate in a valuable learning experience by testing students’ Networking/IT skills through a series of online exams and simulation activities using Cisco Packet Tracer that cover CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate) material. Each year, more than 10,000 Cisco Networking Academy students compete in NetRiders events in more than 80 countries.
As a grand prize winner, Schoonover has won a study trip to San Jose, Calif., for the week of Jan. 8-14, 2012. He will join 13 other international winners coming from Brazil, Chile, Dominican Republic, Germany, Malaysia, Mexico, Philippines, Romania, Slovakia and South Africa. They will get to meet Cisco engineers and executives, tour San Francisco, Stanford University and other technology companies in the Silicon Valley.
For more about all the rules for this competition, as well as the frequently-asked questions, visit http://www.cisco.com/go/netriders.
From the Dec. 28, 2011-Jan. 3, 2012, issue