- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
- Sharing memories of Ernie Banks
- EarthTalk: What fish can we eat?
- Rock Valley College hosts entrepreneurship event Jan. 30
- Tube Talk: ‘The Americans’ begins third season
- Conservatives join New Hampshire rally in support of campaign finance reform
Wine and home brews featured at Jan. 6 Discovery After Dark
Hire a sitter for Jan. 6, because a Discovery Center concoction, “Fermentation Information,” is for grownups only!
Local partners Forest City Brewers, Artale Wine Company, Kryptonite, Carlyle Brewing and LaMonica Beverages will help get you in the “spirit.” Learn to layer liqueurs, turn juice into wine and top off your brain with home-brew basics.
You can also monkey with your favorite exhibits for hands-on fun; visit Peanuts … Naturally; explore the night sky; and participate in live science demonstrations. More than 200 hands-on exhibits will bring out the kid and scientist in you.
A cash bar by Giovanni’s and samples from local vendors augment this cocktail of relaxation, laughter and learning. The Discovery After Dark event is from 6 to 10 p.m., Jan. 6.
Reservations can be made online at www.discoverycentermuseum.org or by calling (815) 972-2839. Admission is $3 for museum members, $10 for the public.
The Discovery Center is inside Riverfront Museum Park at 711 N. Main St., Rockford.
From the Dec. 28, 2011-Jan. 3, 2012, issue