- Dog and cat adoption event at Children’s Home + Aid Oct. 20
- Arrest warrant issued in string of burglaries
- The Odds Man: Bills, Seahawks good bets in NFL Week 7
- SwedishAmerican to build new clinic in Byron
- Chrysler recall affects 907k vehicles
- 7-year-old struck by car near Walker School
- Final City Market of the season Friday, Oct. 17
- Lee Hamilton: Viewing political corruption more broadly
- Rehearsals begin Oct. 19 for 69th presentation of Handel’s ‘Messiah’
- Amenti Haunted House opens Oct. 17 at DeKalb’s Egyptian Theatre
Wine and home brews featured at Jan. 6 Discovery After Dark
Hire a sitter for Jan. 6, because a Discovery Center concoction, “Fermentation Information,” is for grownups only!
Local partners Forest City Brewers, Artale Wine Company, Kryptonite, Carlyle Brewing and LaMonica Beverages will help get you in the “spirit.” Learn to layer liqueurs, turn juice into wine and top off your brain with home-brew basics.
You can also monkey with your favorite exhibits for hands-on fun; visit Peanuts … Naturally; explore the night sky; and participate in live science demonstrations. More than 200 hands-on exhibits will bring out the kid and scientist in you.
A cash bar by Giovanni’s and samples from local vendors augment this cocktail of relaxation, laughter and learning. The Discovery After Dark event is from 6 to 10 p.m., Jan. 6.
Reservations can be made online at www.discoverycentermuseum.org or by calling (815) 972-2839. Admission is $3 for museum members, $10 for the public.
The Discovery Center is inside Riverfront Museum Park at 711 N. Main St., Rockford.
From the Dec. 28, 2011-Jan. 3, 2012, issue