- Halberstadt: Pet peeve: NFL should take action on long hair
- Meet John Doe: Illinois’ minimum wage ballot question will bring voters to the polls
- First case of Ebola confirmed in the United States
- Tech-Friendly: Bending iPhones and iOS 8.0.2 update
- 20-year sentence in 2013 homicide
- Parolee arrested after search warrant at RHA property
- Olympic star Michael Phelps arrested on second DUI charge
- Former NIU QB Harnish signed to Vikings practice squad
- Man arrested after ax incident
- The Odds Man: Chicago, Detroit, San Diego good bets in Week 4
Wine and home brews featured at Jan. 6 Discovery After Dark
Hire a sitter for Jan. 6, because a Discovery Center concoction, “Fermentation Information,” is for grownups only!
Local partners Forest City Brewers, Artale Wine Company, Kryptonite, Carlyle Brewing and LaMonica Beverages will help get you in the “spirit.” Learn to layer liqueurs, turn juice into wine and top off your brain with home-brew basics.
You can also monkey with your favorite exhibits for hands-on fun; visit Peanuts … Naturally; explore the night sky; and participate in live science demonstrations. More than 200 hands-on exhibits will bring out the kid and scientist in you.
A cash bar by Giovanni’s and samples from local vendors augment this cocktail of relaxation, laughter and learning. The Discovery After Dark event is from 6 to 10 p.m., Jan. 6.
Reservations can be made online at www.discoverycentermuseum.org or by calling (815) 972-2839. Admission is $3 for museum members, $10 for the public.
The Discovery Center is inside Riverfront Museum Park at 711 N. Main St., Rockford.
From the Dec. 28, 2011-Jan. 3, 2012, issue