- Tales from the Trough: IceHogs rebound with four straight wins
- Clean water groups, small business owners, community leaders celebrate Clean Water Act
- Police investigate death of 71-year-old man who was struck in October while riding in his wheelchair
- Woman gets 10 years for 2013 involuntary manslaughter
- Secretary of State Police to target abuse of disability parking on Black Friday
- Illinois Commerce Commission approves 500-mile direct-current electric wind power line
- Meet John Doe: Rockford could benefit from the new Digital Manufacturing and Design Innovation Institute in Chicago
- Tech-Friendly: Surface Pro 3 ad comparing it to MacBook Air is a joke
- Chicago restaurateur Billy Lawless to introduce Obama during immigration speech in Chicago
- Travel Wisconsin Snow Conditions Report assists snow seekers
Arbor Day Foundation offers 10 free flowering trees in January
Residents of Illinois can ring in the new year by receiving 10 free flowering trees by joining the Arbor Day Foundation any time during January 2012.
By becoming a member of the nonprofit Arbor Day Foundation, you will receive two white flowering dogwoods, two flowering crabapples, two Washington hawthorns, two American redbuds and two goldenraintrees.
“These beautiful trees will give your home in Illinois lovely flowers with pink, yellow and white colors,” said John Rosenow, chief executive and founder of the Arbor Day Foundation. “These trees are perfect for large and small spaces, and they will provide food and habitat for songbirds.”
The free trees are part of the nonprofit Foundation’s Trees for America campaign.
The trees will be shipped postpaid at the right time for planting, between Feb. 1 and May 31, with enclosed planting instructions. The 6- to 12-inch tall trees are guaranteed to grow, or they will be replaced free of charge.
Arbor Day Foundation members also receive a subscription to the Foundation’s bimonthly publication, Arbor Day, and The Tree Book, which includes information about tree planting and care.
To become a member of the foundation and to receive the free trees, send a $10 contribution to ten free flowering trees, Arbor Day Foundation, 100 Arbor Ave., Nebraska City, NE 68410, by Jan. 31, 2012. Illinois residents can also join online at arborday.org/january.
From the Jan. 4-10, 2012, issue